1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LPF (low pass filter) - where should it sit in the chain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knuckle_head, May 7, 2010.

1. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Well?

... curious minds.

2. Why do you want a low pass filter? What freq is it set to? Don't understand what you're trying to accomplish...

I use a high pass filter. 20 hz to cut subsonics out.

Randy

3. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    ... to isolate the signal to the sub and minimize frequency overlap.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ok, slow down, you're losing us ;)

is this for a pa? a bass rig? describe the rig and be more specific about what you're trying to accomplish. i'll then reply with, "gee, i don't know," but i'm sure someone on here could answer ;)

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    :D

I had a sweet rig set up at NAMM - powered Bag Ends, top and bottom. The full range cab got full signal from one side of an Alembic FX-2, while the Infra sub used the second output into the processor and then into the cab.

The Infra processor has a cutoff frequency of 95 Hz which gave me overlap between 50 and 95 Hz. The thought is to put a LPF in line - someplace - to minimize the overlap.

I could use a crossover, but all I'd use it for would be for the low pass and I really don't want another piece of gear if I can avoid it. I can wire up a LPF specific to current, etc., if I know where in the chain it would/should best sit.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    right. ok, well my answer stands ;)

actually i was going to suggest a crossover. are you going to high pass the top cab, too? seems a crossover would be cleaner, no?

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Where the crossover goes depends on where you have effects. No effects, it goes first before the power amp (right after the pre).

If you're talking a passive crossover, at 95hz or so I'd recommend buying a power amp :) Passive xovers at that lower are quite a lot of trouble.

Good crossovers basically let you control both the high pass and the low pass, so you set them individually. e.g. the BBE DS24 for example