1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LSU!! On our way to the top again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Aug 30, 2008.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    You forgot to consider out-of-conference play. :eek:

We'll see if the Dawgs live up to the hype in Tempe.

If UT is bottom of the barrel, how did they get ranked #18 to start the year? Maybe, just maybe, the pundits who vote on the rankings are biased towards the SEC. :meh:

Comparitively speaking, UCLA is like the Arkansas of the Pac-10...oops, wait...:p

Gard, I've noticed from a lot of your posts you continue to bask in last season. It's 2008, move on.

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Gard is continuing to bask in the left overs of Nick Saban. :D

3. I'm annoyed by SEC snobs (or stupid rednecks as I like to call them.) If anyone cares to check the record the SEC went 3-3 against the Big 10 in bowls last year. And as for the conference championship, all the teams in the SEC voted FOR it (greedy) and now you got it!

4. I really hope you're kidding. That's ALL Les Miles right there.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm joking in good fun so it is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I don't agree that its all Les Miles yet. LSU became a power-house under Saban, and that momentum carries over even now. We'll have to wait a couple more years to see if Les can keep it going. Heck, we might even see this year.

6. Oh I understand it's all in good fun but honestly, the reason that LSU won that title last year is because of Les Miles and you can't deny that.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    You, sir, don't even deserve a response.

8. +1

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I agree that he is the one who took a lot of gambles, and came out on the lucky side. You can't very well call all those gambles "good coaching decisions" as they could have easily went the other way, and LSU would have had a couple more losses on their hand. If he has to rely on those types of things again this year, he could wind up looking at an 8-4 record pretty easily. That's why I think we have to wait and see.

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Kind sir,

I am thoroughly upset at this grossly over generalized statement. I do hope you retract it, or I may be forced to extend to you some of our "southern hospitality."

Really though... what are you hoping to accomplish with that?

11. Yeah, it's really too early to tell what's what. Proof is 2004 Auburn. Beat Louisiana Monroe 31-0 in the first game and it turned into an undefeated season. Nobody saw that coming.

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Man, tell me about it. I'm still ticked over that season. I was at the Sugar Bowl and just mad the whole time that Auburn didn't get a fair shake. Actually, it was that season that totally changed my mind on the whole "running up the score" thing. It's at the point where you have to run things up when you have the chance just to show how much better you are than the competition. Seems to work well for the other non-SEC schools, and I don't begrudge that. USC comes out of all their little games looking like football gods because they can score 50+ points on other measly teams. Florida has done that a good bit in the past, but most of the other SEC teams tend to restrain themselves a bit. I say they should take off the gloves and try to beat any team they can by at least 7 touchdowns.

13. I agree. Georgia was a good bit reserved against Georgia Southern and still came out smelling like a rose but got knocked down to #2 in the polls to USC. We'll see what happens on Saturday. I do hope USC does destroy Overrated State.

14. Only ONE "bowl" counted last year, and LSU (an SEC team, for your arrogant, yet ill informed and assinine pinheaded comments) won that one, beating a...let me guess...yup BIG 10 TEAM, and convincingly at that - they left no doubt of who was the better team on that field.

Do you genuinely think ANY Big 10 team will walk away with an NC this season?

And as for conference championships, we are quite happy with it, because we KNOW who the best team in the SEC is every year, they WIN it on the field. No computer program or opinion of some jerkoff sports writer is considered. Most of the Big 10 teams that get ranked do so because there is a preponderance of said jerkoff sports writers that either went to a Big 10 school, or suck up to some editor that did.

As for the "power" of the Big 10, let's look at Michigan, shall we? Last year, they got rolled by a 1AA team in their home stadium on opening day, when they were ranked #5. At least this season they were correctly unranked before the season started, they then proceeded to get beaten by Utah.

Yeah, Big 10 power!

:rollno:

15. I'd say the 2nd best conference behind the SEC has got to be the Big 12 (sorry Big 10 fans).

Oklahoma has a legit shot at title contender (this coming from a Texas fan :scowl: ) and Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, and Mizzou all have strong teams this year. Heck, Kansas is the lowest ranked of the bunch...at #14 :eek:

And it's always good to see the Aggies lose...Arkansas State? Seriously? Lolz.

16. I'll agree with that assessment, I watched the Mizzou/Illinois game Saturday night, Mizzou is tough...

17. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    That's out of line, plain and simple. As biased as some SEC fans can be, they certainly know the game of football, and are passionate about it.

What I also know, in working for a company based outside of Atlanta, is that folks from the South are pretty nice people, and their hospitality isn't a myth. People who assume that they are "stupid rednecks" because of a drawl ultimately get their lunch eaten by those they condescend to.

Les Miles is a good coach. He has huge balls, and his go-for-it style is what earns my respect.

Yes, USC rang up 52 last Saturday, but they did it using third and fourth-string backs in the second half. Sorry that we stockpile talented kids. ;) Florida's Emmanuel Moody couldn't start at SC, that's why he transferred.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I had no dog in that fight, but I have to admit, it made me chuckle when I thought of the obnoxious SEC fanboys.

19. ...you're from Ohio, you're just peeved that OSU got SCHOOLED by LSU last year in the NC game.

Get over it!

:spit:

:smug:

;)

20. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Cheezewiz, I hope Beanie's healthy enough to play when you guys come to LA. Big ups to both schools for scheduling a home-and-home with such importance. Kind of like a true Rose Bowl in September. It should be a great game!