1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LSx-1503 or 1503A?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BryanM, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I'm right now running a Carvin BR615, and for most gigs that I play it works great, but there's a possibility I'll be doing some outdoor gigs in the upcoming months, and want something to project a bit more. The LSx-1503 has really piqued my interest, but I'm wondering if anyone runs an LSx-1503A off of a preamp and how it sounds. Since I occasionally double on guitar, I'm considering going that route and a POD for the guitar, then run the LSx off the line out of my BR615. I'm aware that I won't get the full 600W out of the 615, since it'll be running at 4ohms, but was figuring on using that as a kickback in front of me with the 1503 on a stand behind me. Anyone run a similar setup, and how does it suit what you do? I play everything from funk/jam band to jazz standards. Thanks.

2. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I use the active version with a Digitech BP 80 and it sounds good to me and plenty loud. I also use it with a RP 250 and same thing. I'm sure that you'd get better and more varied sounds from say a Line6 Pod or that Live X3 would be good for simplification of rigs. Anyway, I would recommend the active version if you're going to use it with the BR615. At least on paper it seems you'd have more headroom that way. As for using the BR615 as a monitor and the 1503 as a backline, I think there's some guys on here that warn against it because of frequency cancellation or some such, but the best way to know if you like it is to try it and you can always return Carvin stuff within 10 days, no questions asked. Good luck.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use the 1503 with a pre/power setup ( 800 watts, full range), and it sounds excellent outside and inside when more volume is needed in a band situation. I A/B 'd it with a Schroeder 1210R and the 1503 was alot more " hifi " sounding and just as loud, if not moreso. It's also alot lighter than the amplified version, which, at this point in my life, is alot more important! I thought about actually putting it on a pole mounted speaker stand at one point, but I could'nt find one small enough to get it at the level I wanted, ( about 20 inches). I sometimes just raise it up on a milk crate.

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    my 1503's :D

PHENOMENAL cabs, imo

DSCF0006-2.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    We use the 1503's as mains in our PA xover'd with Yorkie subs. I can't recall ever using them in the full range or biamped mode but I'm curious as to how well the 15's cover the low end.

Definitely a best buy in my book.

Riis

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i run them full range & i personally think that they some of the best sounding bass cabs i've ever heard, & the lows sound monsterous, or tight & focused, depending how they're eq'd of course.

after picking up a pair of these from carvin, i sold my 210, my 212, & my 410 neos, & have been very satisfied with my tone. i play a number of basses thru them, from my P, to my 55-01, i can dial up any tone i need.

check out some of the threads on the 1503's

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the insight. I'm sure we'll have situations where the subs may not be appropriate or available (small venues, equipment failures, etc.). Its nice to know the 1503's will cover the gamut if needed. FTR, we're powering our's with an itty-bitty QSC RMX 1450 and they still fill a hall.

Riis

maestrovert likes this.