Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LTD B-404 for tuned down stoner-rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phyrexian, May 25, 2004.

1. Hi guys and gals,

I'm playing in a stonerrock/metal band called Ashville for almost two years now. Everything's goin' great with the songs and I really love the sound of my gear (Warwick Corvette 4 string through an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and a Peavey 410TVX). My bass is tuned in plain EADG

Recently I started a new band with some fella from work and we're trying to play some heavy kind of groovy rock. My colleague handels the guitar duties and his Gibson is tuned down to drop C. Now I need another bass for this lower tuning (CGCF on bass) because I don't want to change the tuning of my Warwick on a weekly basis.

I always wanted a bass with active pickups (humbuckers). I recently discovered this baby: a LTD B-404.
    The specs look sweet: Mahagony body (quilted maple top), neck-thru-body maple/walnut neck (rosewood fingerboard), EMG 35-DC/P4 pickups, ... and so on.

There's no shops that carry this bass over here in Belgium, but I seriously like the specs and looks of this bass.
    Any idea if it'd fit my needs?

[​IMG]

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Stoner Music Need's Fretless Guitars and Basses. And like 3 Synth players!

3. I don't like the inlay on the 12th fret that LTDs have, but otherwise it looks like a nice bass. The specs sound sweet!

There should be no reason that (with a proper set-up) this bass wouldn't be able to handle drop C.

The band I'm in now, we play in drop C#. I'm using my Dean Rhapsody 4 BB, tuned C#F#BE. I put heavy strings on it, cut the nut deeper, and did a full set up. It's intonated real good and stays in tune.

It's all how you set it up. I really suggest getting the heaviest strings though to add some tension. Otherwise they'll be floppin around all crazy like.

4. Thanks, the only thing I don't like, is, like you said, that name-inlay at the 12th fret...

5. That's a very nice bass. The 404 model has all the goodies and extras that cheaper ESP's don't have.
    You might want to consider a 35" scale bass for downtuning. They tend to keep more tension across the strings without having to go to extra heavy strings.
    I know the C models (discontinued but still available?) are 35s, so are the F models.

But regardless of what you would decide, I doubt if you would be disappointed with the B404, regardless of the model name inlay at the 12th fret.

Mag...

6. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I believe the B404 uses a string-through-body bridge to add tension to the strings.

I'm contemplating getting the 5-string version of that bass myself. The specs, the lifetime warranty, and the positive reviews I've heard from other satisfied ESP- LTD users here and elsewhere definitely speak to me.

The F-series ESP- LTD basses have a 35" scale, but use agathis wood. However, a couple of people on these forums have them and are satisfied with the tone.

7. Hey Blade,

Does the string thru body design actually add any tension to strings? I always thought it's the actual speaking length (from bridge saddle to nut) that dictates how much tension is required to reach a certain tune. I might be wrong.

Yeah, I just got my F204 (Mahogany body) about a month ago, and I'm seriously in love with it. It's hard to imagine a better bass for the price. Although I might have to listen to some comments, I consider it up there with the Alembic spoiler that I owned about 6 years ago..

Looking at the B and C series, most all of the good qualities of the ESPs are in these basses. That 404 is top of the line in the B series. I would not hesitate to own one if finances permitted.

Anyways.. take care..

Mag...

8. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I wonder about that myself, actually. "They" say it does. My guess is that anchoring the strings through the body may add downforce to the saddles. Hence, detuned strings likely won't flop around as much as a bass with strings anchored at the bridge.

But then again, I was far from an A student in high school physics so I could be talking out my @$$. Either way, the anchor point has to have some effect on string tautness and all that.

9. I think that the strings thru the saddle may make the strings seem (or feel) tighter, because of the angle the string is forced into going thru the body. But, I think it's more about sustain, and or theorys/opinions/and options the bridge manufactures had in mind when designing these types of bridges.

My six string Peavey Grind NTB has the option to go thru the body, or be anchored at the saddle. I go thru the body.

10. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    what does it say on the 12th fret?

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The model number, I quite like it more.

also why don't you guys just get 5 strings if you want to tune so low?

12. because a 5 string tuned up to C would be too tight. And who wants to hold down the first fret every other note in a riff that's played in C?

It's not hard to set up a bass for drop tuning, it just needs to be done right.

13. Thanks for the great replies people!