1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LTD basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Jan 9, 2012.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I love to visit music stores just to see the various brands of basses.

Lately, I have seen some LTD basses at Sam Ash and Guitar center that seem to copy Thunderbirds and psudo jazz and p basses.

I tried a few and they seemed ok depending on what amp and strings were present. The prices were fair but they are all made in Indonesia.

Anyone have comments regarding quality, sound, and playability? Are they worth considering for a cheap backup?

2. Arron2882

Arron2882

Jan 7, 2011
    Bend, Oregon
    I would say yes. I rescued a f-104 from a disillusioned drummer a few years ago for a cheap backup. Mine is built like a tank and is the only instrument that has never let me down.

3. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    LTD is the budget line of ESP. While I haven't had much chance to check out their basses, their guitars are definitely worth the money. Very solid construction, great playability, and some great sounds. Their list of endorsing artists is huge. One key thing to check though is the series of the instrument. They do have super budget models that aren't that spectacular, but their midrange gear is usually a great deal.

4. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've have a B-205 or about 11 years and and really surprised I have kept it this long but everytime I plug it in I am reminded why I keep it. Love the neck, feel and sound of it. I really like the string spacing on it as well. My favorite thing about it is the neck is strait as an arrow and solid.

5. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I played a B254 (neckthrough with twin EMG HZ's) at a store and fell in love with it within 10 minutes. Bought it and brought it home. My son played it, fell in love and took it from me. It's been his favorite gig bass since.
    As a side note, it's gorgeous, well built and made in Indonesia.

6. If you're looking for a Fender-type bass for a back up I'd say that the Vintage 204 is better than any Squier I've played. I have the ESP version also, a Vintage 4, and it's easily the equal of any Fender that's mass produced (not C/S).

7. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I have an LTD B-55 that I really like. I have to say that it's pretty well put together for something that was so inexpensive. It's my main bass with a Schecter 4 string as a backup. The neck is very playable and the string spacing works for me. If you are looking for a backup bass, you can't go wrong IMO.