Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LTD ed. Flame MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nsh50a, Dec 1, 2004.

1. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I just got back from my local music store (palen music) and they had 2 MIM Fender Jazz basses with a honey burst over a flame top. The salesman told me that they were a limited run made exclusively for palen music by fender. He said that they made 5 for each store, and there are only 7 stores in the US. Has anyone heard of this before or seen another one?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They're the photoflame ones. The salesman is spouting bull-shizzle. They're just like any other MIM jazz except with a fake top.

3. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I asked him if it was a "fotoflame" and he said no, that it was actually a flamed maple top.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Foto, photo.. same thing.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Of the photo's I've seen, it's pretty easy to tell... especially if you can see the edge of the body in the finish to tell if it's painted on or not. Even if you can't see the edge, look for a repeat in the pattern. All the photo's I've seen it's fairly easy to spot. This is where the "hamburglar" pattern comes from on the old photo-flame J's.

Also, Fender has been known to do custom runs for specific shops. The forsale area has a custom MIM ash body P made specifically for GC on a limited run. Pretty darn nice looking, too:
    Fender MIM P-Bass Natural Ash! Lim Ed.

6. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    That's just it, I looked on the edge for a seam for the top and could not see one so I asked. This was the area where the tranparent sunburst/honeyburst was the darkest and most opaque. I did not recognize a repeating pattern in the flame finish though. One of my friends had an old 90's MIJ fotoflame tele and you could see the repeat in them, but not this one.

7. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Those basses are quite common. That guy was full of it.