Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LTD ESP B-104 / pawn shop question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by megiddo, Jun 16, 2004.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I was looking at an LTD ESP B-104 in a pawn shop the other day and I may consider dipping my little toe into the fretless water but before I do, I've got a few questions. First, the tag on the bass says $379.00. From the little research I've done I know that's a sucker's price. Street price for the B-104 runs about $240.00. I hate haggling over prices so I'm not very good at it. I was thinking about offering $90.00 for it because I wouldn't spend over $100 for it. (It looks like it's in pretty good shape, but the last owner has it strung with roundwound strings so the fretboard is pretty scratched up but flat.) How do you guys negotiate with pawn shops and not get taken?

Second question. Is this bass worth dropping a 100 bucks on? I can't find many reveiws on it so I'm not sure if this is a sucky bass or not. There's no amp in the shop so I have no idea if there are any problems with it, so should I take a pass?

2. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Any thoughts? Besides me having stupid questions. :rolleyes: :p

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Go to the shop with your hundred dollars, offer him the ninety dollars first, if he says no, then offer the other ten. If he still says no, then don't worry about it.

If you can, print out the MSRP and street prices to show him that you realize he is asking to much.

Most pawn shop instruments that I have played were overpriced junk. I would play this one extensively before considering buying it.

Good luck