LTD F-255 : disposable BB-605 bridge ?!? help !!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sym666, Jun 28, 2005.

1. sym666

Jun 28, 2005
    Hi everyone,
    I got this ESP LTD F-255 bass a month ago, and after a month of pretty no playing activity this is what I got now :

As you can quickly notice, the D string saddle (to be precise, it's not the saddle, but the anchoring point of the string on the bridge) is completely torn apart, and the E and A are pretty on the same way. awful, uh ? :crying:

Since the bass was pretty no played plus it was tuned down a whole step, I do think that the bridge issue comes from a factory flaw of the BB-605 bridge, covered by instrument warranty... but the Italian ESP dealer wants me to ship the bass to them to check it and this means at least 4-5 months of waiting (and I've got a lot of scheduled shows this summer I cannot miss)... shouldn't be far more simple to ship me a new bridge and that's it ?!? :bawl:

Anyway, the questions are :
    - Have you ever experienced something similar with another LTD bass that mounts BB-604/5 bridges (Viper 404-254 / F 255-254 / DF 404 / B 405-404-255-254 / Tom Araya TA 600) ? I think the flaw's within the construction of the string anchoring point plus the crappy material used...
    - The BB-604/5 bridge supports even string-thru body, do you think I could have my luthier make holes on the body, putting up some ferrules and go with that ? Might I have problems with extra length of the strings with a string-thru body ? Mind that F-255 has got a 35" scale.
    What really piss me off here is that I've seen a lot of pictures on the net of LTD basses with the same bridge and the 80% of 'em are string-thru... while ESP sells 'em as regular basses... do they made those basses string-thru overnight just for their own pleasure ?!?! Check 'em out here : (yes) (yes) (yes) (not) (not) (yes)

So what ??!? :eyebrow:

I own three other ESP guitars, really love 'em... but I don't get the point in making modern bridge design, sacrificing the stability and strength.
    Cheers everyone, keep on thumbin'
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd email and driect them, to this thread. They might just send you a bridge to swap. I think you need to talk to the factory; the dealer didn't make the bridge.
  3. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    I have an Ltd series 6 string that I got about a year and a half ago, and I just noticed that the bridge is bent from the rear mounting holes to the back where the strings attach. I emailed ESP about this and they told me that if the bass was less that a year old it was under warranty.Otherwise,I'll have to find a new bridge.That pissed me off. A bridge shouldn't bent at all.After a close examination,the thinnest part of the bridge is where the bolt holes are drilled. That is just poor design,and is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm going to stay on them until I get something out of them.
  4. The only ESP LTD I own is a B-208, which uses a Tune-O-Matic style bridge so I couldn't speak to the quality of the standard bridges. However, this problem is not limited to to ESPs (or anyone else who uses this particular bridge on their instruments). My Fender Jazz 24 has the same exact problem on a supposedly "high mass" unit. While it may have the extra block for the string balls, it is still just a plate, and you're right: the weakest point is where the holes are drilled through.

So again, to be clear, it isn't just an ESP issue. However, I should also mention that ESP has served me extremely well. When I first got my B-208, I started having problems with the electronics. After a few phone calls, Musician's Friend was able to ship my bass to their factory at no charge. When ESP did ship it back, not only did they replace the entire preamp, but they had upgraded the Tune-O-Matic from the 4-saddle to an 8-saddle (I now have individual intonation for all 8 strings!) as a "courtesy." Granted, it did take a few months to get it back, and that was from within the states. But I don't play the B-20 that often and nobody really missed it except me.

If it weren't for the black nickel hardware, I would consider replacing the bridge with a Hipshot A-series. They won't be able to match the color of the hardware but those are much sturdier machined bridges. Anyway, I know this post is almost 9 years old, so I hope sym666 got the issue taken care of in a timely manner. I'm ordering a B-335 SR very soon, so perhaps they've fixed the situation by now.
  5. This moldy zombie thread should be reburied in Hardware, Setup and Repair.