Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LTD f-255: I would like some info please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saorex, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hello. I'm a brand new member here and I'm asking for your advices.

I've been playing bass for about 6 years now: mostly metal and punk but also some jazz old rock.

I currently own and old (20 years) Vantage X-99 (4-strings). It's a great bass with really good neat and clear sound. I'm now looking for an affordable 5-strings and my choice stopped on the LTD F-255. I tryed the F-254 in a store and thought it sound great.

I don't have a lot of technical knowledge about music instruments. I just try them, and decide if I like the sound I hear or not. But I've learned the f-255 is neckthrough and the f-205 was not... I'd like to know what difference does this make. Also, the f-255 is made of agathis (similar to maple). What sound does this produces compared to other woods?

Thanks!

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I am also very interested in this bass as well, but I haven't found any info on it yet, sorry.

3. I have been playing esp basses now for 3 yrs the F-204 series and wanted to get the F-205. So i ordered it in gun metal blue than found out after i ordered it it was a neck thru and was made of a different wood..from the F-205.. I looked around here to find info on it but didnt have to much luck. So than i went to ESP's web site and looked through thier form and found som info on it.. I found some good reports and some bad ones concering the overall sound from it cuse of the "agathis" body verses the mahogany body that the F-205 has they said it didnt have as nice as of sound as the f205 has... But i have also found out not to depend on every one elses opinion and to judge for your self.... I will let you know what my opinion is of the bass when i get it if you like.... I should have the F-255 next week some time....

4. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Great! I'll happy to hear your comments.

I finally ordered the F-255 GMB (gun metal blue), but I'll only get by the middle of April. Orders from Canada are extremely slow... don't know why :meh:.

I'll also post my comments as soon as I get mine.

5. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Anyone has more info yet? I'll have mine in approximatly 3 weeks... damn I just can't beleive how long this wait is: 6 weeks to order a bass! haaaaa!

6. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Well, I'm finally get my bass this afternoon.... after a 9 weeks wait. :eek: LTD had engineering problems if I can say so, so it took an additionnal 3 weeks for my bass to get here.

I'll give my complete review soon so those of you who are interested in buying and LTD F-255, stay tuned! hehe!

7. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I can't really offer any useful input that others already haven't, but I too am curious to hear the verdict on this bass. Okay, the agathis is a turnoff for me and others, but I cannot help but think that an agathis bass can either sound awesome or awful, depending on the company/manufacturer...

I'm considering an ESP as my next bass too (B405LTD if anyone's curious or a JM500LTD), and hearing about someone else's experience with a new ESP bass (quality of construction, etc) will definitely factor into my own ultimate decision.

8. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Ok. I've only used it for an evening at this time. But this bass is awesome! The active eq. does an excellent job, you can really get a great sound depending on what you're playing and if you slap/pop or anything else. The wood... well, I can tell you I love the sound. It's better that almost all basses I've tried until now (exept Warwick basses) so I guess the agathis wood isn't that bad. Well, I've been told they use good wood peices to build those basses (that are worth over $1000 canadian). It would be stupid to use bad quality wood.

And the finish... WOW! I've seen the F-254 (which was bolt-on) and I way prefer my new F-255 (neck-thru). The back of the neck keeps the finish instead of being plain wood, the finish itself is just incredible. Beautiful dark blue with a nice translucid layer over it for perfect look. Much better than the 104 or 105 finishes (which I had seen in store before ordering mine).

Also, the keys (not sure if you call them that way in English) seem to be great quality. They are smooth so the bass is really easy to tune, but they won't let your bass tune down by itself (like cheap keys do).

The neck isn't too wide. It's my first 5-string bass and I think I'll need like 2-3 day of practicing, but no more. The neck's isn't too thick eaither and isn't curved like hell. Well, it's exactly the neck I was looking for. I played almost all night with all 5 strings tuned down and the sound stays excellent, absolutly no fuzzing...

I really love my new baby and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good sounding bass with terrible look and a good price. After all, not everyone here have the chance to own $2500 basses! hehe!

If anyone has questions, I'll be happy to answer!

9. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Thank you for the insight Saorex. I'm very glad you enjoy your new bass and that it serves your needs well. While I have heard both good and bad things about agathis wood, I'm happy to hear that ESP uses it well.

Chalk up another point in ESP's favor.

10. I just recived my ESP F-255 bass about 3 days ago and am verry happy with it :hyper:. Sounds great even with the new agathis wood sounds just as good as the older models... I ordered it back in January was told it would only take about 6 weeks to get. But insted it took 4 months to get needless to say i wsnt happy about that. But now that i have it it was worth the wait!!!!

11. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I have and ESP LTD Viper 104 and love it. I actually wanted the cheaper one becaue it lacked any design or white on the neck; it's entirely black, except for the fret board. Even though it has the cheaper pickups and EQ when compared to the 200s and up, it still has a nice Heavy metal sound to it. It's quality for being the cheaper model is still top notch IMO. The only problem I had with it wa that one of the knobs was loose which was because on of the set screws wasn't screwed in all the way at the factory :)

12. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have a B-305 (neck thru 5 34") that I bought used a few years back for $500 (new was about $750).

The only thing a little weak was that the battery just flopped around in the electronics compartment; I wrapped it in bubble wrap and the problem was solved.

Otherwise, the finish is nice, the quality of wood used is outstanding. I suggest DR High Beams or Thomastic-Infeld Jazz flats depending on your needs for highs and sound effects.

I think these are excellent basses regardless of price.

13. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
  14. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Sweet pics. That gun metal blue finish looks awesome.

15. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Yes it is! But the results are a bit too light on these pics. I wasn't far enough when I took them and the camera's flash made the bass look lighter.

But I love the color and I'm very happy not to have ordered the black one.

16. I'm glad I found this thread. I've just recently received my F-204 bass, which is supposed to be gunmetal blue also, but the color looks NOTHING like the pictures posted here or anywhere else. It's a very dark (midnight blue?) metallic, and even after taking pictures with flash, doesn't begin to look as bright as the F-255 pics shown here. It looks almost black unless you see it in some light, and sometimes even looks like it has a greenish hue even though you can tell it is more of a blue.
    I'm wondering if my bass is actually a different finish?

I guess by now you've probably found out more info on the differences between the F20x and F25x series, besides the fact that F255 is neck-thru and the body is made from Agathis instead of Mahogany like the F205 is.
    The neck is still a 5 piece maple, walnut, rosewood, but is painted on the F25x series. Although there are advantages with the neck-thru design, I prefer my bolt-on, natural finished neck. I love seeing the strips of walnut back there. They run all the way up to the end of the headstock.
    The bridges are alot alike, even though the info I'm finding shows the same bridge for both the 254 and 255 basses. Kinda hard to figure how a 4-string bass would have the same model bridge as the 5-string, right?

I think they are using different EMG pickups on the 25x series. My 204 has the EMG 35hz set. I believe the 255 has the 40hz set.

Oh well.. for what it's worth..
    Mag...

17. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks for all your information Magneto. Very interesting, and I agree that the neck on the 200 series is great too. It just depends on your tastes.

I've seen an F-205, even held it in my hands. The shop thought it was mine and had called to tell me my bass was waiting for me. But when it got of the box, I said: "Hey, isn't supposed to be neck-thru?"... hehe! Anyway, it's true that the 200 series has a MUCH darker finish with some green tint, or sort of... But It's great too. Just depends on what your prefer. The guy at the shop would have said, here it's yours, and I would have been very happy with that color too.

I didn't know abouth this little pickup difference,,, could you tell me more about it please? And about the Balance buton we have, what is it for exactly, I can't figure it out.

18. Thanks for replying with the information. So what you were saying is that the gunmetal blue F205 you had your hands on did have a darker finish like the one I was describing? I had no idea what my bass was going to look like, because I was originally supposed to get a gray satin model, but it turned out that this gray one didn't exist, it was actually a F-104 in a 204 box, shipped to me by mistake, and Music123 found me the gunmetal blue and asked if I'd take it instead. I'm so happy that they goofed, because I love the one I received.

I'm sorry, I don't think I can help you with more information about the differences between the various EMG pickup sets. I think your pickups may be an upgrade from the F20X series? There's another section here about pickups, so you might want to ask around over there and see what shakes.

Were you referring to the balance "knob"? I don't have a button on my 204. The knob just balances between the neck and bridge pickups. The other 3 knobs are (from bridge to neck) treble, midrange, and bass: boost/cut.
    I love the sounds I can get from this bass.

All in all, I think these F series basses are great, especially for the price. I think you'll enjoy your 255..

Mag...

19. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Yeah. That's exactly what I'm saying. The F-205 is darker than the F-255. But I'll take new pictures without flash this time, because the more I look at them, the more I think it's not my bass! hehe!

Knob is the word in English? Good. Just didn't know that. So I guess this balance knob transfers "power" from neck to bridge pups and vice versa. I see... Now I'll have to "study" the effect it makes.

I also REALLY enjoy my new bass. I never had that much sound possibilities... And it's great! Anyway, gotta go now.

20. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada