Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LTD owners: Watch your bridge!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saorex, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi guys. I bought an LTD F-255 in May 2004. After 9 months of play, the bridge started to "twist". Just like the metal was too soft. I sent it to the shop and they ordered a new one. I just hope ESP is aware of this problem and the new part will be harder than the original.

The luthier told me he had never seen that, and he was sincere, but I've already found another guy here who had the same problem. He played with it until a piece of his bridge snaped.

ESP replaces the part for free, so I'm just saying watch your bridge carefully.

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    My first bass was an ESP f-104 and I've yet to have any problems with it. Thanks for pointing it out though.

3. This is more just out of interest, but do you have any pictures of the warping ?

4. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm sorry, the luthier kept my bridge. But to give you an idea, my A string was losing half a note (I hope you understand what I mean, my English ain't perfect ;) ) per day!

Yesterday I talked to the owner in Quebec City and he told me that almost all his LTD in store had that problem now. And he thanked me for letting him know that problem... Anyway, it just seems that an engineer at ESP made wrong calculations about the softness of the bridge's alloy.

5. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    It must be model specific. I own an ESP Viper 254 with a tune-a-matic, string through type bridge. Only downward pressure and no where to warp.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've yet to expirience that with my F205. Probably a certain batch of bridges were "bad".

All the LTDs are sourced parts and manufacturing, which means ESP orders all the aprts from several different companies (who may in turn contract some of the order out to other companies) and has them all shipped to yet another company where they are dumped into big piles and assembled. Two "identical" guitars can have vastly different sets of components designed to the same specs. Obviously this increases the chance of getting a defective part somewhere in the process, one of the reasons why this method of keeping costs down gets a rep for turning out bad guitars. ESP seems to keep a good eye over their supply chain though, I'm on my 3rd and have never had a problem of any kind, which is more than I can say for my USA custom Jacksons, or my USA BC Rich, or my Warwick....

7. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks for the precision Tash. It's true that all basses that were in the shop were ordered at the same time... Also, when I got mine (May 2004), ESP's Indonesia factory had a machinery problem and many models were b/o for a while. I guess they rushed the models for a while after that because the command list was getting long.

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I've had my ESP6 for about 3 yrs and no problem with bridge.

9. sym666

sym666

Jun 28, 2005
    I got the same issue with my F-255 (bought not more than a month ago), as you can see here (pictures included) :
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187795

Have you got to send the whole instrument or just the bridge ? I live in Italy and we got summer holidays right above... it would be a matter of 4-5 months to ship the bass, have them replace the bridge and ship it back, and I've got a lot of scheduled shows and studio activity for the f-255... :bawl:

10. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I didn't send anything. I called my local shop's luthier and he ordered a new one. Only later I brought the bass to the shop to show him what it looked like.

I finally got my new bridge... 3 months later! Meanwhile, the shop had lend me a spare one. My luthier changed it and I can play again. Now I'll watch it carefully to be sure it doesn't brake up in my face again.

I'm not very impressed with ESP's response to this issue... It does not even seem like they've built a new one that will last for good.

11. sym666

sym666

Jun 28, 2005
    Yeah, it's really silly that ESP made such a big mistake and doesn't care nothing about his customers... the fact is that the BB-604/5 bridges were poorely engineered and built with crappy materials. :meh:

Update : the Italian ESP dealer told me yesterday they're gonna send me a new bridge. No doubt I'll wait an eon to have it... but at least I have a new one. Anyway, since the fault lies beneath the construction of the bridge, I'll have my luthier drill the holes and put ferrules on my bass to make it string-thru and forget about it. I suggest you to do the same, Saorex... I think that sooner or later the problem will return.

Happy bass grindin'. :bassist:

12. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Yeah, that's what was planned. But when I went back to my luthier, he had forgort to order the ferrules. So he just changed the bridge. If it breaks up again, I'll make he makes my bass string-tru this time.

13. My B105 has the more "Gotoh" styled bridge, but I have the same issues with the material. After a couple of moderately cold nights and a couple of practice sessions, The unbolted side (side nearest the bridge PU) started to lift away from the body. There was at least 1/4 inch of clearance between the bridge and the body. I've never seen anything like that happen before.

In an effort to correct the problem with a pair of pliers wrapped in a sock, the bridge still got dents from the pressure of the pliers. Didn't solve a thing.

The quality of materials LTD has been using lately has been really heartbreaking.

14. I was checking out these pics. Wow! What a mess. I own an F204 (the 254's bolt-on predecessor) and immediately went to check it out. Although the 255 bridge seemed similar to my bridge, there's alot of differences. You can clearly see that the bridge on the 255 has structural weaknesses at the point where the string's ball end rests. The 204 bridge isn't like that. Sure the string goes through a similar slot, but doesn't slip off to the side like those 255 pics. You can clearly see how weak that area is, especially with the intonation screw right next to it. Not much "meat" there at all.
    I like my 204 bridge, although I'm not too thrilled with the 3 small screws that anchor it. But.. it works and hasn't given me any problems. Plus I can get a replacement if needed from GuitarPartsDepot..
    Sad to see the LTDs being built this way..
    Mag...

15. sym666

sym666

Jun 28, 2005
    Astonishingly, I just received a packet from Backline, the ESP dealer in Italy, containing, guess what : a new bridge for my F-255 !! :hyper:
    Almost unbeliavable how quick they were... awesome.

I posted a couple of pictures of it on my webspace, check 'em out:
    http://www.un-dead.com/f255/newbridge1.jpg
    http://www.un-dead.com/f255/newbridge2.jpg
    http://www.un-dead.com/f255/newbridge3.jpg

As you can see, the bridge design wasn't changed, but there are some subtle aspects that make the difference : the anchoring point of the string's ball-end is twice as big as before, and it has a square cut rather than the weak round cut of the old one...
    Compare it with the old one :
    http://www.un-dead.com/f255/f255_bridge1.jpg
    However, I'll take it to my luthier and see what he thinks about it, the string-thru body option is always considerable.
    As final funny note : dunno why but Backline sent me TWO identical bridges :D Maybe I've annoyed 'em too much :D

Mag : the F204/205 were overall better built and design IMO, as well as better material used (mahogany instead of agathis, better bridge, and so on). The only plus of the F255 is the neck-thru construction... I've found it at a killer price and I couldn't say to the most metal bass out there. \m/

Keep rockin' !
    //SyM