Lube neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duo8675309, Jun 28, 2005.

1. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Is there a way to lube the neck to make slides easier? Sliding down is fine but i can bareley slide up. :bawl: Any tips? Also, just out of context, does anyone here watch flcl? Does Haruko use a Rickenbacher 4001 or 4003?
  2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Astroglide or KY works. :)
  3. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    hehe. you said "works." hehe
  4. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i use fast like a charm.

on a side note, i wouldnt use anything on a neck that isnt nitro or polyurathane coated, since it will soak into the wood
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Looks more like a 4003, but it hurts to watch, there is more bass abuse going on there than I can handle!!
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'll watch it sometime, Havn't watched it in short of forever...

Ride on, Shooting Star...
  7. Don't know if you like the sound, but the coating on the elixir strings make it much easier to slide. I would suggest the Nanowebs, their coating isn't as thick as the Polywebs.

I used to use it, and it is pretty good.
  8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    While you can lube the neck, with most guitars it's a matter of technique sliding up and down the fretboard. Some neck profiles can be especially hard to deal with at first, but overall your playing will become more effortless with concentrated practice.

Lube may help, but it doesn't take a herculean amount of physical effort to play the bass, so a more beneficial route to take may involve applying less pressure to the neck first and adjusting your technique to allow for ease of movement if at all possible.

On topic, I've used 'Finger Ease' on strings before and it felt good, a nice dry lubricant that's not too noticeable.
  9. I hear that nose grease (yes, grease from your nose) works well. I don't think there's any need to lube up. Sliding doesn't take much force. Sitarists use a mixture of oil and ash, I belive, to lube their fingers before playing.
  10. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
  11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Lol, Jack Sherman the temporary RHCP guitarist in the early days got endless stick from Anthony and Flea for using fingerease. Tbh I think it's a load of nonsense, sure some neck finishes suck for sliding but then that's something ya gotta consider when buying a bass, mine has a lovely satin finish that's incredibly smooth, very fast neck for playing stuff like Give It Away faster than you're supposed to :). If you have a satin finish then just polish it every now and then and it'll feel really good. Shinier finished laquered necks can feel a bit sticky to the touch, you can use iron wool to smoothen it off but remember you are permanently removing finish by doing that. So more likely a technique or bass issue. I advise you resolve that rather than go looking for lube if you don't want to be on the reciving end of many many jokes.
  12. And make sure you use conditioner instead of shampoo.

Just saying.

But seriously, if you have a death grip on the neck, you'll need to call the Fire Department and use the jaws of life to get a slide going. If you use a light touch on the fretboard, shouldn't be any problem sliding, coated or uncoated neck. Unless you spilled something absolutely sticky on it like pop. Or .... eeeewww.... I told you to use conditioner..... NOT shampoo.... :eek:

13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Light touch, and a hint of sweat, nose grease or chicken grease. Worked for others who will remain unnamed that played fretless Jazz Basses and Acoustic amps, and it works great for me!