1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lubricating poly fretboard wax? polish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hambone1, Apr 14, 2010.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    Hi,

I am applying a polyurethane finish to my fretboard. The last steps will be wet sanding(mineral spirts?) 2000 grit then with steel wool. What can I do aftwer that to make the board "slippery" to the touch. Polish? Wax?

Thanks.

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Usually, high gloss, smooth finishes are very high friction on your fingers. That is why most people like to sand the back of high gloss necks to make their hands glide over the surface. Why do you need the fretboard to be "slippery"? Your fingers only touch the strings, not the fretboard. Ever hear of "Chicken Grease"???
    Rocky

3. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    on the fretboards I've done I follow up the 2000 and steel wool with some non-silicone based polishing compound.

That should give you a good glassy finish that will enhance the mwah factor and look great too.

4. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    redsfan,

what pollish did you use? (3M etc.) did it hold up well to playing meaning the polish did not smear etc.?

Thanks for the reply.

5. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It was Turtle wax pro, (not the cheap one) and I made sure it was Silicon free. It has held up well, but I really let it dry and buffed it out with a hand held car buffer so it really acted more as a polish than a wax. Still sounded good and no smearing or making things a mess.

6. Redsfan75 has it…

Carnuba wax based furniture polish (the “contains no silicon” kind) or carnuba car wax (again, “no silicon”)…

Hey Redsfan75… I remember the ’75 Reds… Jose Concepcion, Johnny Bench, etc… one of the all-time greatest baseball teams … On paper, the early 90’s Pirates were better…but what a bunch of chokers :D

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Okay, are we talking fretboard or fingerboard? What you need to do will differ...