Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lubrication for Tuning Mechanism

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dthorpe, Jan 11, 2002.

1. dthorpe

dthorpe

Jul 3, 2001
    Moorhead, MN
    I'm sure this has been asked and answered a hundred times on here but I'm new so bear with me. I need to lube my tuning mechanisms. They are a little sticky. What should I be using?

Thanks

Dave

2. I know you are going to think this sounds wacky, but my luthier reccomended candle wax.

white candle, unscented, let the candle burn down so it has a nice little pool of melted wax and use your finger to apply it. (just a dap will do ya, I can't stress enough not to use to much)

3. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Actually, that's not wacky at all. Although I've never thought about it in that kind of application, cyclists have used wax for years to lube their chains. It's not real common due to the mess and time, but it's been around a long time.

4. dthorpe

dthorpe

Jul 3, 2001
    Moorhead, MN
    Thanks very much gentlemen. I'm going to do this. Has anyone used plain old soap? When I had a luthier install an adjustable bridge, the adjusters were very tight. He lubed 'em up with soap. Would this also work for the tuners or should I stay away from it up there?

5. Soap, like ivory bar soap? hmm, I would imagine the lubrication properties are very similar.

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    ...and unlike candle wax, soap can be removed with water.