1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lucas Has A Bass For Sale --

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 22, 2011.

1. --- and it's in the correct area, but I noticed something interesting in one of the pixs and wonder if anyone has any insight on it.

It's a Bullet neck and it has the normal hole at the top of the nut for the truss rod adjustments:::

012-20.

...........but there's a round plug in the heel of the neck that I see and don't understand:::

018-8.

See that wooden plug in the end?

OK - it's round and that indicates to me that it was drilled, not just part of the routing for the truss rod where it was installed inside the skunk stripe.

Why - if the truss is in a routed groove, is there ALSO this drilled hole that is now plugged?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Probably just something done during manufacturing. There have been a few threads exactly like this about Fenders in the past few months.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My guess...When they switched over to the head stock adjustable trussrod there may have been some left over neck blanks that were already drilled for the older heel adjustable trussrod. Plugging the hole at the heel could've let those older style blanks be used with the new trussrod setup.

Waste not, want not.

4. Sorry - I missed them I guess.

Can't read EVERYTHING on TB, can one? And I'm not too sure this would work in the search engine either:

"Hole+Fender+neck+odd+mistake+why+?"​