Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lucchi & Sons Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Anon2962, May 6, 2005.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on 'Lucchi & Sons' bows (not made by Lucchi himself). This is the guy who made the lucchi test. Have heard very good things, but some suggest they mey be now becoming over priced due to such success and popularity?

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Do you mean Giovanni Lucci from Italy?

If so, I owned two of his Bows in the past. They were my back-ups to my Sartory. I already had the Sartory when I bought them but still wanted the pair. Paul Biase in NY is good friends with him and he brought in these bows in the mid-late 70s.

I have played a few recently in NY at his shop but didn't notice if he or his sons made them. They were excellent Bows and are in the 3-4K range if memory serves me correctly. A Bow by A.Lamy is around 10K and Sartory about 14K. Sue Lipkins is up to 5K now for a newly commissioned Bow so I think Lucci is well priced for the quality and performance. G.Lucci is also a supplier of Pernambuco so I would assume only the best wood goes into his Bows.

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks for that. Could you tell me how long ago it was that you bought the bows? Or if you know anyone who has bought a bow from them in, say, the last 2 years or so?

4. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I said in the mid-late 70s when I got mine. They now go for about 3-4 k. I don't know anyone who owns one. Paul Biase in NYC sells them.

5. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Right, well I'll be trying one within the next few weeks, worth €2,300 ($2,950), french style. I'll let tyou know what i think. My brother bought one of their viola bows a few years back and was really happy with it...

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    They are very nice Bows. If not for once owning a Sartory, I might settle for one, but I've been spoiled...

Good luck, I'm sure you will like it.

7. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Got the bow yesterday and wow...it's great. Volume and clarity of sound are excellent - the tone is slightly on the aggressive side, but I can already take this out if I want, and i think it's a good thing, given that i'm not going to have two bows for at least four years this bow will be suitable for even the heaviest orchestral playing, while not being too weighty. I'm really pleased with it.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I have always liked Lucci Bows. Top notch stuff they make.. Enjoy..

9. Amin

Amin

Oct 22, 2004
    Italy
    I've tried two Lucchi bows this summer: one Lucchi (made by Giovanni Lucchi) and a Lucchi&sons (made under the control of Giovanni Lucchi by his sons...)
    The Lucchi one was absolutely impressing.. the most aggressive bow I've never tried...what a grip!!! Lots of sound...but this was even his only disadvantage..it was so powerful that it wasn't easy to play "ppp"...
    All in all,it was the best bow I've played in my life so far...
    truly incredible...

The Lucchi&sons was a lot cheaper and still worked well.
    It hadn't the quality of the Lucchi, but still kept the same philosophy: incredible grip and volume...so much power.. I didn't like so much the sound...too aggerssive and maybe not so warm... The sound was thinner than the Lucchi one.
    That's a great bow, anyway.

I own a LeGouic, french made, 126g, wonderful pernambuco, light, sweet and warm sound, very reactive..with a very quick response.. not the same grip as the Lucchi, but still a wonderful bow...
    My second bow is a Verderau ,french made, a little heavier and less precious than my LeGouic.

Amin

10. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Been seriously practicing with the Lucchi&Sons bow for 4 months now, and I'm still really pleased. It does everyhting I ask of it, and it feels suitable in a variety of situations. For example, I'm playing a concert tomorrow: Beethoven 5, Mozart Clarinet concerto, Barber Adagio for strings, and I feel this bow delivers in each differnet piece - each with very different styles needed. This is one reason why I think this bow is special; I couldn't imagine needing two bows.

Amin - I can see why you may not like the 'aggressiveness' of the sound, but I'm happy with the sound on my bass. I think the sound from the bow I own is close to (but not quite) agressive - if I need a more meaty sound I don't need to do much, but I find this bow's 'natural' sound to be very active and warm. Also, the amount of information that this bow gives to me while I play is really amazing. I feel exactly how it grips as I play.

As you can tell, I'm still really excited about the bow - thank god, after I forked out $3K! Of course, this is my first 'serious' bow. I'd love to try a 'Lucchi' bow. Maybe someday, when I feel I can't get what I want from this bow, and have 5K floating around. Which will most likely be never... :bawl:

Anyone intersted in these bows can find them at the lucchi website: www.lucchi-n-sons.com .