1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luciano Golia Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mike Arnopol, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'm in need of buying a new bass. My current bass got damaged near the point of being totaled with the assistance of TSA (Department of Homeland Insecurity) Anyways, I have to get the top removed and extensive repairwork done. So this puppy is going to be pretty fragile and I won't be taking it out much. ( mostly recordings )So, I'm looking for a new bass. I want to get something between the higher end Romanian and Chinese basses ($6k ) and some of the better new handmade American and European basses ($18k to $22k). I remember playing one of Golia's basses years ago and liking it. I talked to him and he gave me a pretty good price. (Right in between) I want to get something built to somewhat specific parameters and was wondering if anyone has experience with his basses in comparison to other nicer new basses out there.

2. I've played a handful of new Golia basses, and I have to say that they seem to be just what you're looking for. Right on in the price range, and somewhere between the better Chinese basses and higher end new stuff. One thing I wonder about though; it seems a lot of Golias are decorated in one way or another; how does that affect the end cost of the bass? I'd rather have a plain bass for less money. Carving and inlays don't do a lot for me, even though they look cool on other guy's basses.