Lucky me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dhosek, Apr 18, 2002.

1. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Playing two concerts this month with two orchestras (and one is a paid gig) and every piece is 20th century. The first one, last Sunday was the Debussy Danses pour Harp Chromatique and Durufle Requiem (I love that piece). Now, I'm busily prepping for next week's concert: Copland, Appalachian Spring and Shostakovich 5. One hell of a thumb position work out there.

Then next month I'm dragged into the 19th century, kicking and screaming with yet another orchestra. There's some non-19th Century stuff in there, but nothing exciting from the bass stool.

2. Last week, I fell backasswards into playing a few duet and trio tunes with clarinetist extraordinaire Eddie Daniels. This took place at a private party thrown by my employer, a company that makes clarinets (among other wind instruments).

Eddie can make that instrument do just about anything he wants it to do. I acquitted myself alright, but I was hanging on by my fingernails.

Chicago Symphony 1st chair clarinetist Larry Combs happened to be there too and took a couple of choruses on "Another You." That guy can blow!
  3. It is not humanly possible to hear the last cadence and his ending on a whispering V7 chord and not have the hair on your neck standing straight up.