1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lugging a hardshell case around public transportation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BklynKen, Mar 7, 2013.

1. So I got a Thunderbird (lefty) and need to take it out next week, but won't have the Mono case I ordered yet. I'm going to have to take it out in its huge hardshell case. The NYC subway is worse than ever with crowding and I'll have to take it to work in the morning. Any suggestions on how to make this as smooth as possible? I'm thinking of coming to work really early so the train will hopefully be emptier.

Thanks.

2. +1 for "I'm thinking of coming to work really early so the train will hopefully be emptier."

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Be a subway lunatic. Don't touch anyone, obviously, but stand there with your case and the rest is really up to you. You can sing really loudly. You can have a conversation with someone who's not there. Extreme flatulence works. Or if it's especially crowded you can always wet yourself. Basically do whatever it takes to maintain a 2 or 3 foot radius of personal space around yourself.

4. Stand it upright and hug it while you're on the train. Or hold it by the handle and smash people in the knees with it for a laugh.

5. Hmmm. Could add a whole new level to my "accidentally" smacking people with my Incase Tour Bag who get in my way.

I wish the side of the hardshell had some sort of feet for standing it upright.

6. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I take my hardcased bass on the subway here all the time when it is crowded. MY BIGGEST concern that has me sweating EVERY TIME is some a**h**** is going to pull a gun on me and I'm gonna lose it to theft. Crowding people a little with it?...hahaha not a chance. A gun? always.

7. Do you keep it horizontal or turn it up vertically?

8. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    vertical and do what the thedudebrah does, kinda hug it when the train is so crowded you cant move.

9. I'll assume lugging a hard TB case in a crowded place is like manuvering a small aircraft carrier...

10. Yeah, especially the case for a Thunderbird.

11. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I used to take 6'7" surfboard on a bus then train then bus. You'll be fine. Just keep it upright and close to you. If you argue with yourself people will keep their distance.

12. I usually stand in the corner of the door (opposite the side that typically opens) and stand it vertically with my arms resting on top. People regularly carry much larger, stranger and more intrusive things on the subway than a bass.

13. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    robbery may not be a big factor; only you know it's really a guitar in there.
    to everybody else, it could be a shotgun...
    just get a nice Beretta or Benelli sticker for the side...

14. I live on the F train. Not always possible to get one of the door spots lately. But I got some ideas. I live on the F/G at Fort Hamilton Pkwy. I can take the G, which is never crowded in at that point, then get the R at 4th Ave. instead of Jay St. to get to work. I usually walk over from Jay to Borough Hall for the 4/5, but the 4/5 lately has been PACKED, and they come every two minutes or so.

15. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Standing the case upright works best for me. And if you are able to, I'd suggest you get to the front or back of the train car and to be out of everyone's way. Also, if possible, take a local train instead of an express. They tend to be less packed. And hey, at least you're not lugging an upright!

16. Yeah, I feel bad for the upright bass guys.

17. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Stand it upright. Get in the last car. Make sure your stations have the regular turnstyle, not the high revolving gate.

I once bought a 64 P from a guy at 207th st. Taking the A train back was fun, fortunately it was the middle of the day.

18. Unfortunately my station only has the revolving gates. But I can get through that holding it upright. Or go through on my own and open the emergency door thing.

19. Not to belittle the straphangers among us (I used to be one), but I gotta think a stickup guy isn't gonna get very far trying to run off with a TB in its big ol' hard case. Just sayin'...

20. Yeah, I could totally see a theatrical type move of running after him and kicking one end of the case so it swings into the backs of his knees, knocking him down.