Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

luis and clark carbon fiber instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FractalUniverse, Nov 9, 2004.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Hello
    i know that a lot of discussions about carbon fiber instruments happened here in the past but mostly about Quintus Stringed Instruments( http://www.qstrings.com ). I have read that an instrument made of carbon fiber will sound bad or something... but this company cellos and violas seems to have lot of success(they are developing double basses at the moment). this is not spam by the way, i'm just wondering what do you think.
    There are some audio and video files at their web site
    http://www.luisandclark.com/
    and lots of quotes from "known"/important people.
    i mean even yoyo ma has one.
    ok that's all, thanks

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't think the "sounds bad" was aimed at ALL CF instruments, personally I only played one from France in the late 90's and it sounded pretty bad. I haven't looked seriously at Quintus, mainly because I can get a plywood bass that sounds good for about 25% of what they're asking for a Quintus and a plywood bass that sounds great for about half of what they're asking.

It's a direction worth pursuing because we're sure not getting any MORE old growth wood, the quantity of workable ebony keeps dwindling etc.

But the bottom line is - for $6K you have a lot of choices for an instrument and generally the over riding factor is SOUND.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have a cellist in one of my jazz combos at the U (yep, you heard right!) who has one of these, and it sounds great. He has a regular carved axe for orchestra work, but if their basses are anything like their cellos, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers.

4. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    first of all, this are really quick answers
    second i can't understand your english sir
    "but if their basses are anything like their cellos, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers."
    i'm an spanish speaking person

"But the bottom line is - for $6K you have a lot of choices for an instrument"

what i'm going to say is out of topic.
    the choices of double basses here are few.
    you people are so lucky! :crying:

5. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    What he means is if it sounds like the cello he heard he would probably like the bass.

Here in the USA there are a huge amount of choices. In Chile I am sure there are choices but not nearly as many.

I agree we are lucky to have so much choice, sometimes too much choice.

az

6. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    lol to that

Currently im gathering some money for a double bass, my first one, and it's going to be one from an argentinian luthier(auday-giormenti.com.ar)... cause it's not expensive(let's consider that i'm somewhat poor), and i have heard they sound good, my local student options are a

cheap quality DBs --> cremona

wich i hate and i know you people hate too, cause they have poor quality, so you understand that that is not what i want... the second local option is a chinese double bass that is really really expensive and it sounds ok, awful tuning machines by the way....
    and yes you do have lots of choices