Luithers- which materials have you made necks from?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eric Cioe, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Name them. I'm curious to see the diversity in necks.

If you made a laminated neck, count that as one entry.
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Eric , all Smith Basses from day one have been laminated necks. The main wood used in the neck is always Maple. We have used Neck laminates such as Morado(pau ferro) , Bubinga , Walnut , Purpleheart , Shedua , Mahogany and Rosewood(first prototype).

The best laminate wood with Maple for us is Morado or Bubinga. We make 3, 5 and 7-piece necks. The 3-piece is all Maple laminates except for 50 bolt-on 20th anniversary models and a few early 80s Basses which had Mahogany centers.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, look'a here, Smith is back!
    Where have you been, Ken? Welcome back!

I made necks out of birch, which has very similar properties to black/hard/rock maple. Triple laminates, parallel to the fingerboard.
    Oak is another, great and overlooked, neck material.

And Carey Nordstrand made one out of spruce...
    Imagine a triple laminate (parallel, of course:) ), 3mm oak+9mm spruce+3mm oak...
  4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Picana negra, wenge, bubinga, maple, sapele, mahogany, jatoba, walnut. I have used all of those as mains in laminated necks. Wenge, sapele, and maple in one piece necks. I am about to do a purpleheart one-piece.

Almost anything goes in a laminated neck as strigners. I tend to lean toward stuff that is harder and denser than maple: wenge, jatoba, bubinga, purpleheart, morado, etc.
  6. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, here's some combos' I've used:

wenge/purple heart/bubinga

I have yet to make a one piece neck, or even one of all the same wood. I'm sure I will eventually.
  7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    One-piece maple, flatsawn
    Figured or birdseye maple with purpleheart
    Cherry with maple (5 piece)
    Alder with maple (3 piece)
    Maple with teak (3 piece)
    Maple, Purpleheart, and cherry (5 piece)

The weirdest one I made was
    Swamp ash with maple (3 piece).
    It worked out really well on a 6-string bass I made. I added graphite reinforcements for security, and the neck has been really stable. I liked the lighter weight as well.
  8. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    I have used necks with predominately maple or wenge with lams of bubinga, ebony and I like purpleheart too. I now like just 3 piece necks of maple or wenge or a combination of the two. Don't think I will use anything over 5 piece necks anymore unless I I do it for a certain look. Really happy with maple and wenge;) Oh yeah, wenge and a little cherry looks nice too.