Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luke Gower from Cog

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Anarchyok, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

Cog finally came up in a Warwick thread so I thought i'd start one here for Luke Gower, the bassist. Anyone here into Cog?? They are doing some great heavy rock in australia, a little in the style of tool, but a little more bass driven and funky. Confusing? check them out at www.cog.com.au for some sound samples.

Bassist uses Warwick Thumbs, a neck thru 4 and 5, and a bolt on 5. The neck thru 5 is his recording bass and stays off the road, he tours with the other thumbs. He also has a Corvette FNA 4 which was his main bass before he was endorsed. 4's are tuned CGCF and 5's are CGCFBb. He uses a Eden WT800 into 2 x 410 XLT. He also uses effects tasteful, often delay, distortion and octave.

Check him out, he's the man!

2. Ha! Twas I that raised Cog in the Warwick thread :bassist:
    I saw them live back when he used his Corvette, I haven't seen him play his Thumb basses live. The new album was recorded with the Thumbs though I believe.
    But seriously folks, check out Cog 'cos they are an incredible band.

3. indeed they are incrdeible. and apparently really starting to evolve their songs live. I saw when they did their last little tour through my side, and they were kick ass then, so they must be gtting pretty damn tight. Theyre coming back through in a month and i will definately be checking them out again :bassist:

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    These are NOT the band that used to be Course of Nature or something, right?

5. haha nah
    they are an aussie band set to take on the world...cog doesn't stand for anything though.

6. So why doesn't Luke take the Through-neck on the road?
    Very odd... :eyebrow:

Wish I had three Thumbs :crying:

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    right, because there used to be a band in the US by that name...... which one did the song After The Fall?

8. yeh after the fall is not a Cog song

Luke doesn't take the Thumb NT5 on the road as he's using the cheaper BO5 for road use. The NT5 is being saved for recording. The tech mentioned something bout not taking a $5,700 on the road if its not needed....haha

9. Don't say that :meh:
    I just ordered a custom Thumb 5 neck-through...
    It's going to be my main bass. It's not getting shipped until November though.

10. ohhh enjoy it! i just got a corvette 5 std and loving it heaps. Yeh basically Luke is just using it for home/recording use to protect it from road rigours. As he doesn't change tunings, 2 basses on stage are enough for him, so the NT 5 can be kept safe.

11. Luke's now using a Warwick Tubepath 10.1 and a Warwick Neo 8x10. Was hoping to hear it at their last melb gig, but one of the tubes blew right in front of me!! I've seen pics from later gigs, he's using it, but his eden's now sitting there as a spare...haha

any more cog fans out there??

12. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Cog are my favourite Australian band - a fine example of how perserverance + talent can pay off even in the days of Idol...

Last gig I saw was at QUT here in Brisbane, with Luke's new Warwick rig. Very nice, but the soundguy was a little behind the game. Not the best sound, but the pit was crazy - these guys are starting to generate a level of hysteria around themselves ;)

(Edit: we used to jam on 'Just Visiting' at rehearsals all the time)

13. Cog rock. Great band, 3 very highly skilled musicians.

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    i shall have to check these guys out.........:cool: Any recommendations?

15. at www.cog.com.au you can download ep tracks and listen to samples for the debut album. The Spine, and Doors are good songs to start with. There is also a link to their myspace site which has some tunes uploaded, Anarchy Ok has some cool bass harmmonics during the verses

16. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    i admit they're one of australia's best rock bands around...actually found out about them through Guitarist Australia(the issue with Zappa on the cover..) and i'm really impressed by what i hear! and i wish i had 3 thumbs too!

17. Why has he switched from Eden to Warwick rigs?
    I love Warwick basses but I suspect Eden would make higher quality amps than Warwick would...

I just missed Cog play the Prince bandroom in Melbourne.
    Couldn't make it... not happy at all....

And in update to my post (months) earlier, I now have my Thumb 5 N/T and love it muchly:bassist:

18. I'm guessing the switch from Eden to warwick amps is due to his endorsement.
    Recent pics however show that he's using a replacement Tubepath 10.1, into 8x10's but his Eden is now on stage as a spare!!

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The Warwick rigs sound pretty sweet.

What happened to the Mesa 400+ though?

20. I saw Roger McLachlan play his 5 string NT Warwick via a Warwick rig last Friday. Great tone, great sound.