1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lull in practicing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by El Bajo, Aug 13, 2007.

1. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Does anybody ever get that phase where you just cant be arsed learning. I've recentley split from a band and now I just dont know what to do with myself bass wise. I'm working through a slap DVD an playing some Bach from a book but non of it serious learning like I found I had to do for the band.

I keep meaning to do some theory, but I cant be arsed
    I keep meaning to learn some songs, but i cant be arsed
    I keep meaning to record som acoustic guitar chords to bass imporv over, but I cant be arsed
    I've got lyrics that I want to put music to, tried but found it to hard with bass and subsequently cant be arsed.

Its not that I've stopped playing, I've just stopped practicing and I just want to play without all the pressure to progress.

Anybody have the same feelings, or am I just not worthy anymore? :bawl:

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Sounds like you're a bit depressed because you miss the old band and the way it filled up your everyday life. Perhaps you don't really see a reason to work on your bass playing right now, and hence you have no inspiration to do those things you've planned to do. (Sorry for sounding like a psychologist... :D)

You could try finding a new band to play in, start your own or do something else, perhaps something from your list of things you'd like to do. Start going to concerts in your area and get inspired (jazz clubs are great in this perspective :)). The key is you must force yourself to do something. If you don't, you just get more passivated. I know how that feels, it's not too funny...

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I've been playing 35 years and have hit a "plateu" several times. Usually seeing a great player live will inspire me to move foreward. This happens to all of the players I know at one time or another.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're just un-inspired and everyone hits it from time to time. Just need to find something to light the fire in the belly again. All the things you keep meaning to do try one sometimes they will get you trying new sounds. Check out some new band or new style of music. Go jam especially with people outside your normal crowd. Listen to some different music some hot bass player in a style you normally don't listen to. Get Zen go out in woods and play, sit in the dark and play, get deep and contemplate your navel and who do I want to play.
    I would trade or buy a piece of gear since I know I would be wanting to play the gear and that would lead to new idea and ways of playing.

You are the only one who can answer the question what will it take to lite the fire again. You might need to try a few things, but if your really want to play music you will find a way.

5. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Thanks for all the kind words of encouragment. I think I need to retire to my inner temple and suppress my tormented Chi.

I've been meaning to learn the art of funk groove for a long time. I'm going to dedicate this next month to slap bass and funk finger style. I'm gonna be a Mofoing Dali Lama of Funk!