Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lull Modern 5V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCT1422, Apr 6, 2001.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I just received a new Modern 5V from Lull.. I'm pretty happy with it and wondering what other owners think of them !! I'm thinking of getting another, but with a maple board !!! (I'm such a gear slut.) Mines an alder body in burgundy mist w/rosewood board.....

2. I just received my new Lull M5V on Wednesday and I LOVE it!! It is the best fretted bass I have ever owned. I have the natural finish with an ash body and maple neck. I actually like it better than the five string Sadowskys I have tried. The 35" scale may have something to do with this. I had a chance to use it in the studio on Tursday night and everyone thought it sounded great in the mix (it was an R&B session) I can't say enough good things about Mike's basses.

3. SCT1422

I almost bought a Sadowsky myself a few days before I got the Lull.. They sound great but I prefer a 35" scale for the B-string.. The Lull sounds and plays great too and it's also less money.. I plan on picking up another, one with an ash body and a maple board.. Hey BassBoy, did you get the one from BassNW ???? I'm trying to find the one thats on the Mike Lull website for their Namm 2001 pics.. It looks to be a Sherwood Green and a maple board.. I also have a friend interested in the sunburst M5V in the pics.... If anybody knows where they went too, please let me know...

4. Steven, I bought my bass direct from Mike as he has no dealers here in Canada. Mike had a few basses at the shop when I called so I didn't have to wait the usual 2-3 months :) I'd call the shop and ask.

5. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    HEY STEVEN I SPOKE TO YOU THE OTHER DAY AT ROCK CITY GUITARS! IF YOU NEED HELP WITH A LULL LET ME KNOW!

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Hey bass boy!
    I want to see that bass!
    tell me where and when you are playing and I will go take a look.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've always thought that the Sadowsky 5 strings were 35" scale. This comes as a surprise. I went to Roger's website and he doesn't mention what scale his 5 string basses are.

I've alway heard that the Sadowsky "B" string was incredibly tight and focused. I'm surprised that given the choice that one would choose the Lull over the Sadowsky. I'm not knocking Mike's basses as I've only tried out one. I've just always assumed that the Sadowsky set the standard. I'll have to give the Lull a try again. But I am very happy with my Lakland so I'm really not even in the market.

8. SCT1422

Hey BassBoy, I did get mine directly from the Mike Lull shop via Giampietro Guitars... I'm going to check to see what they might have in a week or two... As far as the B-string, I just prefer a 35" scale.. I also own a couple of Laklands that I currently have for sale.. I probably will buy another, but with a maple board this time... They are also great basses with a nice B-string... I was just after a more authentic Jazz Bass growl and look.. Remember, I am a gear slut....

9. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    STEVEN I'D BE VERY INTERESTED IN THOSE LAKLANDS! GET IN TOUCH WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky does indeed use a 34" scale for his 5 strings.

But then again, scale length is about 5th on the list in influencing B string tightness, construction and neck stiffness being #1 and #2, IMHO.

11. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Well I have played a lot of Sadowskys, and I think that the B-String isn`t as tight as many people say.

In comparison to the Spector US Model I tried, I would say the Spector B is way better, but thats just my opinion...

David