1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lull Owners / Who's Using What?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just picked up Lull 5 loaded with Basslines single coils and a Bart preamp. The single coils are nice but don't quite have the body I'm looking for. Mike Lull and company have suggested the Basslines hum-cancelling J's ($250 / pair) but I'd like to weigh other options before plunking down any dough.

So, please tell me...what works for you? I would like to keep the Bart pre, though.

Riis

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Here's the specs on my Lull M5V:
    Duncan single coils
    Aguilar OBP-3 preamp
    Swamp ash body, maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard.

With the Aggie preamp I can get more than enough bottom end; I normally run it flat. On certain songs I boost the low end just a smidge. The reason I'm so fond of the single coils is that I like lots of midrange and a bit of growl when I dig in. Because we may differ on what's enough body, the humcancellers may be the ticket, but I've never tried a set. If you haven't already asked Mike, check with him to see if he thinks the Aggie preamp can be the solution to your needs. It's a bit cheaper route than going with the humcancellers.

BTW, my main amp is a Demeter HBP-1 preamp and a Crest CA9 power amp running into a pair of Aguilar GS112 cabs. On the rare occasion my band plays a bigger venue I'll use my trusty Bergantino HT210/HT115 cabs. For small stages I use a G-K1001RB 2-10" combo. With any of these amp setups I can shake the stage pretty well. :) :bassist:

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Lull M4V:
    Fralin single coils
    Aguilar OBP-3
    ash body
    maple neck/fretboard

Sounds great to me, a very smooth character but can get aggressive when I need to (back off the bridge pickup slightly). Just recently I tried to trade it away but after a few rounds of truss rod tweaks, she's definitely a keeper. :cool:

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, I'm not in any hurry to change out the pups and pre...I just bought the silly thing. I think I'll give it a few more gigs to get broken in. Maybe these stock single coils are just the ticket.

Your rig set-up smacks of mine: HBP-1 or RBI into a Crest CA-6 lighting up an Acme B-4. I'm having a little trouble finding the Demeter's sweet and sour spots with the two band para EQ, though.

Thanks to all.

Riis

5. Lull Modern 5: Ash/Figured Maple top, Maple neck and fretboard.
    Aero type 1 Jazz pickups (a rarity, Mike only did a run of 4-5 with these)
    Bartolini NTCT 3 band tone control preamp with 400 Hz Mid cut.
    MCT-3MC 250/500/750 Hz mid boost unit with separate 2KHz to 15KHz treble boost.

Having playing the standard Bassline/Bart setup, I have to say I love my "custom" electronics just a touch more. I find a bit more low-mids from the Aeros as well as a touch less high-end... which can be corrected via the electronics. I'm also not a huge Bart fan, but I love the combination of the Aeros, the 3-band preamp, and the mid-boost unit. For me this is the ultimate modern Jazz sound, and the best investment I've ever made in terms of gear.

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    You might consider SD Antiquety IIs.

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey, there's a thought. Nothing wrong with the SD offerings.

This may sound a bit odd but I'm also considering the German-made Delano jazz humbuckers. I have a passive jazz and MM pairing in my Cliff Bordwell 5 and am constantly amazed by the voicing. Not quite sure how much I can attribute to the pups and/or the body woods. Either way, I would assume they'll work well with the Bart pre's less-than-agressive character. I believe fellow TBer James Hart is a big fan as well.

Riis

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021