1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lull vs. Lakland JO vs. Alleva-Coppolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mustafa, May 8, 2006.

1. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    OK, my next purchase will be a vintage-style, passive, high-end Jazz, 4-string, American-made (between $1500 and $2500). The used vintage market is just impossible.

Been considering many, and have come to the following conclusion - please help me narrow down my list:

-Sadowsky: out of my budget new, don't want a Metro, and I just sold a Standard Sadowsky to help fund this more 'vintage' bass.
    -Celinder: don't really care much for the brand; the builder is too far away.
    -Fender Custom Shop: long wait and I have read repeatedly that they are not worth the price.

So, the last finalists are:

-Lull V4: attractive price, good reputation.

-USA Lakland JO: First in my list.

-Alleva-Coppolo: getting good reviews and I like the "very-
    vintage" approach. Unsure about the price - just e-mailed them.

:help:

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Alleva-Coppolo! Out of the ones you mention, thats the route I would go. I wouldnt even think of others you mention. Beautiful basses. He has prices on his website for some stuff..

I think a very well equipped jazz from him is under $2500.

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Lakland JO. You said it yourself. It's first on your list.

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Yo...
    I have recently played 3 or 4 Nordstrand "Nordies". I have also owned a J.O. American and Skyline, as well as a Lull V4, and the Nordies, IMO, are in a very different league in the playability and tone department. Really, they kill. I can't vouch for the Alleva-Coppolo, though...I'm sure they're fantastic.

The Nordies are on my next "must-have" GAS list.

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

+1 - In my opinion the best out of all you listed. And yes, I have owned each one. I have a 5 string Alleva-Coppolo right now and it's the best Jazz I have ever had.

Entirely handmade by Jimmy Coppolo (he only farms out the finish work) including winding his own pickups and building his own preamps.

Awesome basses...

6. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Plus, he's very approachable, walk right into his store, I had a nice chat... Impressive instruments.

7. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    The Lulls and Laklands are very nice. Jimmy Coppolo has a way with fretwork though, and I believe he has a stock of Brazilian rosewood which would be closer to the vintage vibe you are after. Top notch work.

8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    what about new york bass works?

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't played an A/C bass.

The couple of Lul basses I've tried have been very nice. I've only played 3-4 for about 15-20 minutes.

I've owned a nice USA Lakland 55-63 and it was really nice. One of the main reasons I sold it was I was getting out of the fancy wood phase. It had a beautiful Birdseye fretboard and a sick maple top.

From what I've read about all these basses, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Out of the 3 for me (thru my experience) I would probably pick the Lakland.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    One thing to mention. Since you're looking for a Vintage vibe, the A/C may be for you. It seems to be the only of the 3 that offers a Nitro finish. I took a look on the Lakland and Lull site and I couldn't find if they used Nitro.

For me, I wouldn't get a bass with a Nitro gloss on the body. I'm pretty rough on my basses and it would end up looking like crap really fast. Again, this may be a plus for you since you're looking for a vintage styled instrument.

11. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I can't say enough good things about Lull basses. I have also played the Lakland JO and was very impressed. Tough decision, and I would probably go with the Lull.

12. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    JO combined with J-Retro seems to be doing good. Of course I have absolutely zero experience with it.

13. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Don't know anything about A/C basses but I've owned 2 JO's and 3 Lulls. The neck on the JO is closer to a real vintage Jazz and while I really think the Lulls are great they never seemed to have enough low, low/mid meat. That may be because most of the Lulls have Hipshot aluminum bridges. I prefer through body or brass bridges.

14. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The necks on the Alleva-Coppolo's are carved for a vintage feel.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the basses you listed. All are top notch.

Good luck!

15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I own 2 USA Lakland Jo's 1 4 string & 1 5 string both w/ Nordstrand pickups and they rock!! Lakland all the way!

16. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Ken Smith makes a VERY reasonable Classic J that you may want to check out before you decide.

Just my $0,02:bassist:

Also, for your budget, you can have a Valenti made by Nino.

17. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have 2 Alleva Coppolo Basses. One is the KBP4 4 string that is outstanding! http://www.kirkpowers.com/gear-pics_5.html
    Nitro Finsih, Brazilian fingerboard, Lightweight Alder body, engineers don’t believe it is a p bass.
    I also have an Alleva Coppolo LG5 5 string. here is a picture http://www.kirkpowers.com/lg5.html
    It is the only 5 string JJ that sounds like a Jazz bass to me. The neck cut is slim and fast. He winds his own pickups which I really like. This bass is real light too and it is a solid piece of Alder and not chambered. It sound like a Jazz bass with a Tight focused B string. I love the preamp too.
    Some people comment about the shape of the headstock and I spoke with jimmy about that. I believe that the amount of wood at the headstock partially determines the mass of the neck. Which translates into resonant frequency which determines dead spots. Jimmy tries to not remove too much wood to keep the mass there.. I think it really works.
    Engineers love the way this bass sounds too. I like the way it feels.
    I also have a Sadowsky PJ5 which is an incredible bass. As far as Vintage feel and sound you can not go wrong with the Alleva Coppolo. It records well and it sound great in live gigs. The price is reasonable for what he does. The pickups are not hum cancelled at this time. They are like real jazz bass pickups that only cancel hum when both are up all the way and that is fine with me. Because it sounds like a jazz bass, I think I said that already though

18. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    Nice. . . Thanks for the replies so far! Keep them coming.

I want a vintage vibe, but I'm not too picky about nitro: if it's there, good; otherwise poly is fine.

A Smith J wound be cool, since I already have a BSR 5-string, but the body shape, 24 frets and overall feel of a Smith is very different from what I'm looking for this time around.

A Valenti could also be an option. . .

What is the deal with those new Nordies, are they available to order?

Seems like A/Cs are winning. . .

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    See, Roscoeheads think alike when it comes to J-sytle basses!:D

The Lull would be my first choice, (I'm a very biased Lull owner. I love my Lull M5V and a Lull PJ5 will be my next bass.:)) the Lakland JO would be my second choice.:cool:

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Blueberry Hill Bass has a few on order the last time I looked at the site. :cool: