1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lull vs. Sadowsky vs. Pedulla

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This clip is four years old, it may have been posted here a few times already, but it looks interesting, so I posted it again.

2. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    Pedulla for me, maybe its his playing but the B just sounds too loose on the other basses.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  3. Yes, please. I would like all of the above! drool

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Pedulla by a mile for me. None of those low B strings sound all that great though.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  5. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    I like the red one, these fancy basses still out of my bass knowledge/experience scope at this time

son_of_mogh likes this.
  6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Mental note not to make bass buying decision based on low quality recording played through iPhone speakers after being dramatically compressed on YouTube....

Bob_Ross, smokescreens, Mili and 18 others like this.
  7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had a rapture just like that one. It’s one of two basses I’ve ever been asked *not* to play by my band mates. It’s really polite and the EQ is tuned very “boom and click”. No fat, not bite, no growl. The other two sound good. I don’t usually like lulls when I play them but lots of people sound great on them.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I used to regularly play a Rapture 5 at a nearby GC during the early 2000s when GC carried Pedulla and Warwick. It was awesome. I always wondered how it would stack up against other boutique Jazz Basses. Now I know it was truly a peer of the others.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Pedulla makes great neck throughs but IME a small maple body, bolt on neck, and barts is not a winning combo in the mix.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Well you actually owned one, I have to respect your opinion.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I bought it brand new and wanted badly to love it. Played great, felt great, looked great. Could never get the sound working right.

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I had a Thunderbass that was fantastic. Tone was great, but the neck was so thin that it was unstable.

13. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Yeah, interesting video. I guess they all sound like pretty nice basses; more similar than dis-similar. Basically, preferences will line up along personal choices. Here’s kind of what I hear.

The Lull and Sadowsky are more similar than dis-similar. The Lull leans a little more towards that raw Fender R&R vibe, while the Sadowsky just has a sound that is a little more together, integrated and refined. Sorry for the lousy descriptors. I like the Sadowsky, but would happily gig the Lull.

The Pedulla has the Bart drivetrain. I guess you either love them or not. I don’t. On the plus side, that electronics package is warmer and darker; and I can see a legit preference for that character. But, to me, that comes at a cost of sounding compressed and muted. My impression from listening to more recent MTD clips is that Bill has recalibrated this voicing, pretty much eliminating the aspects I find objectionable, while retaining that nice warmth. Possibly a more recent MTD Saratoga would be a better comparison. I don’t know what newer voicing Mike Pedulla may have. He sure builds beautiful instruments.

MobileHolmes, REV, kobass and 2 others like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I must admit that I like the darker voiced Bartolinis. I loved them in the two old 55=02s I had, and they sound great in my Pentabuzz. That said, the strings on my Pentabuzz are old and mismatched. I think I will install some Sadowsky nickels, a least for while to see how bright it can be, but long term, I will use half roundsjust to make sure I don’t have to have the fingerboard refinished anytime soon.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    IMO this guy seems to be able to get his Pedulla to sit OK in the mix

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I started a thread about that the other day concerning MTDs. I believe any bass will sit well in the mix if it is mixed to its sonic strengths instead of the tone that someone thinks it should have.

The bassist in that clip is getting a great deep and thick tone, like a P-bass with extra bottom. I like it!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  17. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I agree with your mindset.

Boldaz-Lepton and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Not really feeling this guy's playing. The basses all sound a bit sterile to me. The Pedulla is a little warmer, the Sad is brighter, Lull in the middle. Pedulla sounds pretty compressed. If I had to pick one, maybe the Lull - it is the most balanced tone.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Lull for my taste. Pedulla is nice but too subtle in sound. I have to have that growl. Sadowsky has it's own baked in sound but I like the more openness of the Lull. Sadowsky is probably the lightest and that's also a factor.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes. Also, mental note not to drink five cups of coffee before recording a demo video.