Lullabies to Paralyze

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nataku, Mar 26, 2005.

1. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    any1 else got the new queens of the stone age album yet? i wasn't expecting too much from the bass parts, but i was pleasantly surprised after listening a few times/watching them on fuse and conan. the bass parts on most of the songs, such as burn the witch(josh playing lead bass), in my head, and little sister are really cool. i think i saw one of the other guys using a gibson bass on their fuse performance, but i was wondering how josh got that bass tone on burn the witch. his bass looks like a gibson also, but with a weirder tone, its hard to describe. so far i havent even been able to come close on my active rockbass...
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig the album on a whole and the bass tones are pretty cool, even if they are totally different than Nick Oliveri's tones.

In the DVD included it looks like they used a Ampeg Fliptop with an old hollowbody bass of some sort. Body looks like a ES-335 style bass, but tons of basses looked like that in the olden days. If you wanted to get tones like on the record, I would get some flatwounds to start with, use your neck pickup and roll off the tone control. Also adjust EQ to taste.
  3. I havent picked up the album yet, im hoping to soon though.

Most of their equipment is old vintage sixties gear. Most of the basses they use are old Mosrites. I saw them on fuse, the new material seems pretty good.
  4. It's a pretty cool album but bass-wise Nick is really missing. His lines always made the Queens sound much more fluid and slippery. Lullabies is just a bit stiff, sort of like the first album.
    Still, I'm enjoying it tremendously.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I heard from a few sources that they kinda "sold out." Like they kept writing in the style of "Go with the flow" over and over. Ditching the stranger side of their music and focusing on the poppy side.
  6. Incubus

Mar 28, 2005
    agree totally... i bought it the day it came out... but check this article out- Taken from Ultimate-Guitar id really like to see Nick back... he was a great bass player... i really like the bass line in Better Living Through Chemistry on Rated R...
    but the new CD was good nonetheless and i am going to see them live... i hope that goes well...
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Think off it like this. I liked Rated R and Songs for the Deaf because it made simple rock and roll sexy; Lullabies to Paralyze is like Rated R's sleazy, half demented sister. Not a sell out, far from it. If anything this album will lose more "fair weather" fans than it will create.

Much darker and a ton more low end than Rated R. The happier/weirder songs like Living Better Thorough Chemistry and Auto Pilot are missed though.

QOTSA has a page that allows you to preview the whole albume, so I would check it out if you are on the fence.
  8. Hmm, the poppiest song on the entire album is "Little Sister" which is predictably their single. Other than that Lullabies isn't nearly as catchy as Songs for the Deaf was. It's actually closer to their first album in terms of style, lotsa repetition and pretty dark.

I think this came up on Buddyhead once.
    "It's not that they're(QOTSA) making bad music or anything. Actually, the only thing I don't like about them is their over-protective fans."
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have nothing to say, but Mr. Royce- "Come to me, filthy assistants!"
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I figured, the people who I heard the "sell out" comment from were the "once a band makes more than 3 albums they are sell outs" type kids. Everything sounds better underground and whatnot. I'll check it out. I think it would be hard to top Rated R though, that's the shizzy right there.

I was thinking of starting a thread about this, but it's pointless: Nick Oliveri is the greatest screamer in the history of screaming. (maybe not) But his screaming is so great, I noticed on the Auf Der Maur album he played bass, and screamed. :bassist:
  11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I think Lullibies is great. Its diffent from the past 2, but IMO not a "sell-out" at all.

I saw them this weekend. They were sick!! They had several diferent basses. One was a hollowbody, one looked like a Les Paul black beauty, and a Jazz bass. One thing that I thought was great is how all 3 of them played bass on different songs. Josh's bass tone is sweet.
  12. Just get "Cocaine Rodeo" by Mondo Generator. Ton's of Nick's screaming plus the odd country ditty or two. Great Album.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I picked up a copy of it last week. It's good-not nearly as good as SFTD, but that'd be tough to top as it's one of my favorite rock albums. I wasn't a fan of the bass playing on this album at all-it's not as powerful or present as Nick's playing was, and that could have made a big difference in keeping the tracks fresh, as some are a bit repetitive. To me it almost takes the role of a third guitar, as it has a very mid-y distorted tone on almost all the songs. It's still a very good album-I had just gotten my hopes up to have another album as good as SFTD.
  14. I'm torn on this album. I liked SFTD alot and wasn't quite sure what to expect with no Nick or Dave, but it sounds pretty good. Only thing I didn't like was the simplicity of the bass during "Someone's in the Wolf." Man, there was so much they could've done with the bass during that song...but oh well, it's still cool.
  15. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I wasn't expecting anything good from this album but I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it.I think it gets better towards the end too.I still love SFTD though.And Nick is the greatest screamer ever!!!
  16. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    After 2 weeks I pryed it out of my cd player. It's a really good disc I think. Some of the basswork was a little on the bland side but it still fit with the music well enough.

Wasn't Mondo Generator a Kyuss tune?
  17. Ahh, now I have my hands on it. Very good, I enjoy it alot. Burn the Witch kinda dissapointed me. After I heard Billy Gibbons was on it I expected a vertigo inflicting solo or something. Its still a good song, but no vertigo inflicting solo. :crying: Is that knives I hear on Someones in the Wolf???
  18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yes, and the name of a band featuring Nick Oliveri. Check them out they rock pretty hard.