Lumina-3 bass, ever heard of it? Is it a piece of junk?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hdiddy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I've got questions about this bass from another thread. I just called the shop that has it and the guy tells me that usually they sell quality stuff and at least that's true with their guitar selection. He also told me that it's a chinese made bass. $1300.

I've tried looking it up on the web, but couldn't find any info about it anywhere.

I played it a couple of days ago and it sounded pretty loud acoustically and seemed to play ok. I plan on going back and trying it again tonight, but it would be good to know what to look for in terms of how it's made and in other bases I see in the future. So far it sounds ok and better than an Eastman (don't know the model, price was $2400) I played a week ago.

Anybody know if this is a chinese piece of junk to stay away from?!??

This'll be the first DB I ever get and I'm thinking of getting something decent than just a regular student model, those Bob G.'s Englehardt's look like a safe bet.
  2. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    The thing about Chinese basses is that any one factory could be making basses with any number of labels in them. The factory making the Palatino could be making the Lumina. There's a bunch of newbie threads on what to look out for in buying such a bass.

There are a couple of trusted-name Chinese companies, Shen and Christopher, that are making decent ply basses in about the same price range.

Englehardts have their detractors, but many have had good experiences with them. Should remind your of your Kay.