Luminous dot markers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, May 24, 2001.

1. anyone tried this?
    Simms LEDS are a bit too expensive for me, and that cheap stick on fretlighter thing isn't made anymore.

I remember reading an interview with Pete Steele of Type O Negative where he said he put luminous paint on the neck of his bass (I think it was the Alembic Spoiler).
    so I've drilled out the dot markers on my Hohner B2A and filled the holes with luminous paint:D

it actually looks surprisingly good so far- the red LED of the active circuit on the body and the green glowing dots on the neck.
    the paint does go dim in a few minutes in complete darkness though- but this shouldn't be a problem on a stage with lights.
    it'll need a top coating of lacquer to prevent the paint wearing off too.

do any companies actually offer luminous dot markers, either as standard on a bass or as a retrofit?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

So, Mock, you did the phosphorescent thing, huh? I had an airbrush artist go crazy on a pair of stage pants with that stuff. Looked cool with black lights. Had to close the closet door because I couldn't stand the glowing all night. may have what you're thinking of.
  3. I had a look at the holodot thing before, but I thought that it wouldn't work in complete darkness.

unfortunately, the luminous paint I used goes dim too quickly, and doesn't really show up except in complete darkness.......I've heard that some new luminous paints are brighter and keep glowing longer.
    ...back to the drawing board.

anyway, I found some holographic Alien heads stickers for 99p, very much like the holodot stickers, in a toyshop- the world-famous Hamley's, no less.
    the stickers are in 3 or even 4 varying sizes- practically asking to be used as fretmarkers....this might just work......
  4. rickbass

Jeez, Mock, where do you a mausoleum? ;) ;)

You said you tried "luminous" paint. I don't know if that is the same as phosporescent paint. The phosphorescent paint I had on stage clothing and posters dimmed a little after 5-6 hours, but it was still quite apparent. All I had to do was make sure the item was either in sunlight or under indoor light for a few hours before it went into darkness. The only drawback was that it was eerie green, (maybe I could have put dye in it). It wasn't cheap though. Something like $6US for a few ounces, and this was in the early 70's.

That is the only substance I know of that doesn't need reflected light or previous exposure to light to emit its own light.
  5. rickbass

FWIW: I just checked online - The companies that sell either paint are distinct. They don't use the terms "luminous" and "phosphorescent" interchangeably.
  6. hmmm, I thought "luminous" meant "glow in the dark".
    my dictionary defines "luminous" as phosphorescent.
    anyway, the paint I tried was cheap stuff from a toy shop.
    decent more expensive stuff would be the way to go, but it's hard to find.
    in a search on the net I found a few suppliers who do long-lasting phosphorescent dyes/paint in different colours- the usual green and also red ,blue, and yellow.
    plastic dots containing this stuff would be great.....

but for now I've put the holographic alien head stickers on my Hohner- looks a bit like Kirk Hammett's ESP signature guitar with the skull & crossbones markers.