1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luna Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassKitty101, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    Hey there,
    I got an endorsement deal from Luna where I got a bass for half off and I love this thing.
    It's light,
    Narrow spacing of strings which is awesome for chords and the like,
    The tones you can squeeze out of it are awesome,
    and it looks simply amazing. (not to mention its not a bank breaker!)
    What do you all think of Luna Basses?

Attached Files:

2. That looks very delish. What electronics does it have?

3. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
  4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I love the looks of them.

GC or Zoo Music never seem to have any of them though.

I really want to check out that 5 string Paz sig. model though it looks awesome just like Paz's playing.

Funny when looking at the red Paz 4 banger this song popped in my head

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The luna basses Ive seen where pretty good. Congrats on new bass.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with some of the others here - always loved the look of them, always wanted to try one out to see if the playability and sound match the looks. I was especially drooling over the Paz 5er. But most stores around here don't carry them and I haven't had the money to drop on the Paz. Still like to try one sometime, though.

7. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah a Paz and Andromeda Raven are on my to try list.
    That and a Schecter Diamond Custom P 5 and a LTD Surveyor 5 with rosewood.

8. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    The Raven does look interesting. I've thought about them, but there is no place around here to try one. I'm done buying for a while anyway so it wouldn't matter for me now.

The Paz Lenchantin 5er is intrigueing, but more because of their pick up choice than anything else. The photos always show it with a pick up designed for the four string split P. I guess this should work just fine as long as the field covers all the strings. When you consider that a true "5 pole" split P would lose the balance needed for humbucking, this actually probably makes more sense.

If I remember correctly, Luna is a Dean brand that is marketed more to the ladies? Not that this would stop me from buying one, just thought it an interesting point to add to the discussion.

9. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Yeah these basses are light. They feel sleek and comfortable. And I love the sound. Great basses for the price range

10. hrodbert696

Huh, funny, I had thought that the pickup had five sets of poles, but at the moment all the pics I'm seeing are showing just four. I wonder if I'd just missed that before or if they changed it.

I think Luna has a kind of "implied" marketing to women when they talk about the company and the designs, but they're not like Daisy Rock that explicitly says they're making them for women. I had a Luna les paul-type guitar for a while and it didn't play any different from any other that you might have gotten from Epiphone or wherever (and for the record, I'm a dude, last I checked).

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Remember the old Irish Spring soap commercials? "Aye, but I like it too!"

Yea, someone else pointed out the four pole pick up during a discussion last year. The guy who pointed it out made a big deal out of it. He seemed to think that this was a flaw in design or production. Apparently Fender puts a 5 pole pick up on their 5er P-Basses, so anything less or different must be junk. That's just nonsense in my mind, but hey, I'm not the expert that everyone else around here seems to think they are.

By the way, I have the Dean EVO XM Bass in black which is Dean's version of that Luna Les Paul model. Its a decent little four-banger with great electronics. The only flaw is the neck dive, but I like it a lot. Was yours the lavender with the white pick ups?

12. I had a 08' Luna Andromeda, and it was soooo light - even lighter than my Ibby SR's. The neck is nearly identical to an Ibby SR4. I sold it because I didn't like the sound at all (no bright highs or deep lows - just bland sounding mids) or the cheapo mono bridge pieces (intonation can't be set under tension), but the neck is really nice feeling.

13. SICK BASS[​IMG]

14. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I think having a bass that girls think looks cool is a lot smarter than having a bass that other bassists admire.

15. hrodbert696

Thanks for the review - since they're never in stores, at least around me, I never get to hear one. Do you think it would be moddable? Do they have some weird proprietary pickups and hardware, or could you drop a set of EMGs or something into them and a new bridge?

16. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    1) a four pole split P will not cover all 5 strings if the spacing is as wide as 17MM or more.
    2) where do you come up with the faux science that the accepted proper 5p pickup is not hum bucking? FMIC makes one, Schecter, and Nordy makes one with coils and no shells.
    The dreck you have to wade through on TB!

17. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    I play this thing through an Ashdown Abm 410 and pf500 right now and it certainly doesn't lack any lows or highs. I won't claim to know a lot about basses but this rig certainly kicks and sounds great in a mix.

18. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Wow, I was merely speculating.

My assumption is that the humbuckers work best if they are equal. Is this not true?

By the way, here is a link that seems to illustrate my point very well.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/five-string-precision-pickup-450493/

You can also find a number of players on the forum who have used 4 pole pick ups on their 5 string set ups with no problem. Darkstrike in particular made this comment and he seems to be pretty experienced with basses. This is how I've come to these conclusions, but I am certainly still no expert.