Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lunch Time Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by srbguitar, Jun 7, 2003.

1. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    best compliment, Worst Question

My band played at my school during lunch and it went great. We weren't completly ready when lunc started but we still got the whole set in. and this was the first time since i got my Sunn 2x15 that i was able to crank it up and not have anything in my room rattle all over. but i got to say my rig sounded AWESOME loud.(GK 800rb-Avatar 410-Sunn 215b)

Anyway onto the funny stuff. after we played our set and were taking our stuff down, the drummers friend came up to him asking if he could get the bass tabs to one of our songs that was one of the 4 origanals we played and also the song that has my awesome bass solo. then my drummer told him to ask me, so he boldly asked me the stupid question "hey can i have the bass tabs to that one song", to wich i simply replied "NO"(with a laugh). Then he asked why not? i answerd it's my solo that I wrote. and also thought in my head another reason is i don't want to write down the tabs for someone that i don't know and have no idea what they will sue it for when it's an easy solo for me to remember and will never look at the tabs anyway.

i did take this as a great compliment.

so what kind of strange compliments have you TB'ers had?

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    The band that i got kicked out of a year or so ago came up to me the other day and asked me two things

first off they asked me if they could borrow my gear because their new bassist doesn't have a big enough amp! muwahahah

secondly, they asked me to teach him my riffs. We played all covers, however i didn't feel like playing the simple stuff on the recordings, so i improvised and put my own lines and riffs in. They freakin' asked me to teach them to the new bassist!

I'm enjoying it because i went and saw them play recently... absolutly dreadful. Nothing was mixed right, their new drummer (old one left when i was kicked out) sucks majorly, and well.... they're just a bunch of kids beating on instruments. A few of them are talented, but they just all play their own thing.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I played a gig at some schools lunch time break before. we were in the area, our leader was a friend of their principle, they were already having a little battle of hte bands.

so we showed up and closed it.

Later we were featured in the local newspaper for that town(somehwere up north)recieving much praise.

It was fun, we actually had an audience :p

4. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    eating school food is hard enough to digest without having to listen to a bunch of NOISE on top of it!!!!

5. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    What the hell are they feeding you kids these days? Damn... you are in HS and you own a G&K
    rb800 and a full stack? Yikes. I worked 25 hours
    a week at a pizza joint in HS for 4.25 an hour!

Well... back in my day....

Anyway. Good on ya kid! Glad you can rock out on that stuff now. Here I am nearly 30 and cut back to a Stingray 4 and a Hartke single 12. Ah... the
    simplicity. And now I can easily afford that stuff if I want it... *laughs*

Good luck with the band.

-Aladdin:p

6. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Who knows? I have to play my school's Peavey, because my amp is a little Gorilla that I bought from this guy I met at a pawn shop while shopping around for my first bass. Playing at lunches is fun.

Brett

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, hard work is where it's at, my friend.

I busted my ass working and my junior-senior year I had 2 Eden D-410XLTs (Sold one for some dough, now have an HD212 in its place, and another bass), and Eden WT-300, and a Carving DCM1000 poweramp.

Look for deals, work hard, you too can have a Rig of Doom. Heck, people asked to borrow my gear at every gig, because most people were chugging on a 1x10 combo or some such, and I had enough amp to not only be in the mix, but completely destroy it.

Ah, the memories... :D

8. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Yeah its funny how bands work. My first band was a joke. None of us had real amps at the time. They sucked at songwriting and were flat out jerks to me so I quit. Well I bought a stack and now I'm in a real band with real gear. The ex-band is still there; their rythm guitarist bought a Squire P-Bass to take over for me. Since their guitarist bought a Marshall half stack they've been asking to use my stack for every one of their "shows". It's funny how people don't appreciate you until you're gone. Guess their "bass player" better get used to plugging direct to the system or get a job:spit:

9. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Yep.

Well... I live in Japan. Here, everyone gets around by the train. A car is more hassle than it's worth. So... no lugging around a big cab or heavy amp. I load the Stingray into a Ritter back-pack job and put the 47 lb. amp on a hand truck. I then have to walk 20 minutes to the train station and then take a 2 hour ride to Tokyo. That is if I want to use my own amp... not to mention up and down the stairs at the train station, which in Tokyo are very, very crowded.

If I am playing a live house with its own system (that usually means an SWR 4x10... they are popular now) I just bring 2 cables and the Sans Amp BDDI.

Next year I might opt for a Euphonic or David Eden. I am looking for the smallest, lightest rig that can put out and still give me 40Hz extension. Not many 10 inchers can do that.

I am not playing that much now, so what I got is good enough and plenty loud enough for these teeny places I am playing.

Rock on my Stacked friends...