Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lung Cancer Benefit

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Dec 24, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Heres the deal, gents..

My friend's mother passed away the other morning due to lung cancer. It comes as a shock to all of us. I figured that I need to stand up and make a difference. I want my band to play a show dedicated to his mother, and to raise money for Lung Cancer Research. I'm in the process of finding bands, and talking with people now..

We're a hardcore band, but we're getting indie rock bands, punk bands. Just a variety of bands to mix the show up. We're all in high school sooo. Where would be the best place to host a show like this? Could we ask the school to lend us the auditorium for a night? Should we look into a venue that specializes in small concerts? Maybe rent a hall? Any related ideas to the show as a whole are appreciated. I'm pretty much planning this all myself.

Thanks Alot,
    Happy Holidays

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    first of all, i'm sorry to hear of you buddys loss. 2nd of all, this is a very nobel thing for you to consider. high school auditorium might be cool. correct me if i'm wrong as i have not spent a lot of time in boston, but isnt the METRO located there? really any venue that has an open night would rather have something going on than letting be empty. get a bunch of bands together and charge a nominal 10-15.00 fee, promote it on local radio, tv etc and you should be able to raise some cash and awareness. when my drummer was battling cancer in the 90's, we did 2 benefits for him and raised about 15k. good luck and if there is anything i can do to help i'll do it. i live in atlanta but........

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    After Hurricane Katrina we had a benefit concert at my school. I don't reccommend using the school cause that is just a ton of paperwork and whatnot. I think you ought to either rent a hall or find a venue willing to do it.

4. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the input. I'll look into some local venues

Edit: About the METRO, do you mean the transit system? We have the MBTA here, locals call it "The T".

5. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    no, i'm sorry i should have clarified that. THE METRO, is a venue that a lot of bands played at. i have a 3 cd set of cheap trick playing there. i thought it was located in boston. again, ive never spent much time there. really any venu that holds about 1000-1500 people would do. charge 5-10 per ticket and you get a lot of takers.

6. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I dont think my band, or any of the other bands playing could bring 1-1.5k people to a show. :ninja: