Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthier Course

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chimp, Jan 17, 2005.

1. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    I was thinking about taking a course in instrument building (mainly bass) after school since i have little know how and little woodwork skills. Has anyone else done a course like this before? And does anyone think this is a good idea?

Rob

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If you're interested in building, then OF COURSE it's a good idea. Why the bleep not, right?? If you can afford it, go for it!

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. GregBreshears

GregBreshears Commercial User

Jun 6, 2002
    Independence, MO
    Owner: Greg Breshears Guitarworks

+1
    I went through Roberto-Venn in the Fall of 2000 class and I thought it was a great way to learn. It's like I've told other people you really get out of it what you are willing to put into it. It's long hours and alot of work, but VERY rewarding.

Greg Breshears
    if you have any questions about the course you can pm me

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    As silly as it may seem, one reason I started having kids at 22 was so when they're off to college/their own lives, I'll still be young enough to do a school like this. I just can't stand the thought of being away from them for so long just yet. But after they turn teenagers.... ;)

6. Did you know that Bill Moll of Moll Custom Instruments, regularly offers online guitar and bass building courses through the MIMF? The cost is somewhere in the $200 - $300 range and the instruments his students have built are fabulous. That might be a cool way to "audit" the idea of luthier school.

7. GregBreshears

GregBreshears Commercial User

Jun 6, 2002
    Independence, MO
    Owner: Greg Breshears Guitarworks

That's a very great point. I had forgot about the course offered through the MIMF. That would be a great way to see if it was something you were interested in doing.

Greg Breshears

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Online sounds interesting. But I think what would help me more than anything would be hands on instruction with the teacher. Although it might be worth checking out.

9. That's the cool thing though - Bill limits his class sizes and he's right there with every step to guide you. I don't know the mechanics of the operation but the replies I've read from the alumni have all been positive. And let me tell you, if Bill can teach a class how to build an archtop jazzer over the wires and get the results I've seen, a bass would be a breeze.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Then I shall check into it :cool:

11. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The problem with the online/book route... you have to have the tools. :(

12. I agree...

When I make suggestions like this, it's with full knowledge and the implied caveat that the preparation should be done beforehand. My posts would be doubly long were I to mention all of the possible traps and trip-ups. In this case I was just trying to be a cheerleader.

And besides Scott, what's so bad about NOT having tools and having to go out and GET some? Hmmm? ;)

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Shopping for tools is about the best shopping there is. Finding a friend/relative that will donate them to you however, is even better ;)

Seriously though, what kind of tools are we talking about? Anyone care to give a short list? I already have a band saw, table saw, drill press, planer, lathe, various hand tools, router, various sanders, fret tools, etc. Am I even clost to what is needed?

14. Yep, those'll do fine. But I would get a sturdy wooden stool - the most versatile tool in the shop. :)

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  16. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Add an oscilating spindle sander, a joiner and a whole mess of clamps to your list and you're pretty much there.

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

1 out of 3 ain't bad, right? I have clamps...:D