Luthier for refinish in South Florida?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScotJam Bassie, Mar 17, 2021.

1. I am looking for recommendations for a luthier to do a pro refinish, and some fret and neck work on an '82 P bass. Someone á la Wilkins in LA (I can't make it to LA just now) I see a few places online, but I am looking for recommendations from any fellow TBers who may have had work done, or seen work from any luthiers in the South Florida area. Orlando or as far as Daytona Beach could also work.

B-Mac likes this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Heard some great things about Ben Chafin in Tampa Bay area
    Ben Chafin
    @ElBecko59 has dealt with him first hand

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    ScotJam Bassie likes this.
  3. Mitch Weissman can work wonders with the frets and neck work, but not sure about re-finishing. No doubt he knows someone who can do it though. He’s been at it a long time. I’m not sure if he’s doing it now with covid and all, but pre-covid he’d invite you to his house and walk you through everything he was doing. He’s a wealth of information and saved my Ibanez JEM from certain death.

He’s in Ft. Lauderdale and can be found on Facebook. I’ve got another friend who goes to him all the time and I’ve played about 10 different guitars he’s worked on, his work is just flawless.

4. wheresmyric

wheresmyric

Apr 16, 2006
    Not in South Florida, but Starr Guitars in Winter Park does very good work.

There's Angel Guitars in Port St. Lucie, but they never responded to my calls and emails. Maybe you would have better luck.

5. Steve Eisenberg

Steve Eisenberg Commercial User

Jul 29, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ
    Owner, Eisenberg Instruments LLC
    Contact Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery. They have alumni nationwide, and could probably give you a referral.

6. Thanks for this link! Going to check this out. May be a bit far, but could be an excuse for a trip to Tampa.

B-Mac likes this.
  7. Thnks! This could be a good call for the neck and fret work.

RevDrucifer and B-Mac like this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Any luck on finding a luthier to refinish your bass?

9. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
  10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Does this thread actually begin “Florida Man”? :):)

11. I'm going to check out Star Guitars, Their work looks amazing. Just waiting for the Covid to settle down so I can travel to FL!

BeeTL and B-Mac like this.
  12. tom_305

tom_305

Jul 25, 2015
    Koontz guitars is in Miami. He is on Facebook and does great work.

13. Hi, I done a search and I am not coming up with Koontz Guitars in Miami. I did find a Koontz Guitar repair in Ferndale, Michigan. Same person relocated?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021