Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthier Forum???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Mar 5, 2002.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Someone brought up the idea of having a dedicated forum for the resident luthiers here... any word on if that's a possibility?
    Can't recall what thread it came up in, but just wondering about the feasability of it... I'd sure like to see an 'ask the luthiers' catagory!

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I would be there to give my two cents.

3. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I think it's a good idea. It would centralize the location for posts addressed to/about luthiers so they can find them. Participating luthiers are a prized asset to the forum- I'm for making it easy for them to participate.

elwood

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    That would be cool for those of us who dabble in building and repair, too...

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    As a wannabe builder, I like the idea, as a lot of my building-related questions are still unanswered...

6. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I think this is a great idea. Rather than having two or three dedicated "pro" forums for a couple luthiers (which I was thinking of doing), a general forum would be much more useful. Participating luthiers could easily do a keyword search for related threads in the forum and post replies as warranted.

Any suggestions for an offical forum title? I'm a bit concerned about overlap with "Basses" - a user must be clear on where to put his bass related question. Maybe "Ask a Luthier" for the main title and as a sub-heading list several of the big names who regularly participate?

BTW, thanks to "MrFortuneCookie" for volunteering to moderate this future forum :)

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think it would work when concerning How to make basses, or general structural questions, and specfic questions about their basses.

Hmn...Roger Sadowsky, Ken Smith, maybe Dave Pushic, Stewmac225(numbers? Can't recall), who else do we have on the boards?

I can see it now! :D

"Quiled maple!!"
    "Flamed Maple!!!"
    "QM"
    "FM"
    "QM!!!!"

:D

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I think it should be "Luthiers corner" or something...

ask a luthier sounds like it'd be for non luthiers to ask luthiers stuff, whereas luthiers corner would be more for luthiers to exchange information with each other, as well as us more common folk.

(psst....i'll help moderate too if mrfortunecookie doesn't feel he can do it by himself ;) )

jason

9. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    That would be great! I awnser a few questions over at the www.ctbasses.com site. I would refer them over this link where they could get awnsers from different builders point of view. They would have a few people to bounce ideas off of instead of one.

Darrin Huff
    www.dhuffguitars.com

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    when i was designing my home made bass in 3D CAD, Joe Zon was really great with offering opinions on my departures from the norm.

he's active on the zon yahoo group.

in the meantime, head over there and ask questions.

stand up guy!!!!!!!!!!

fred

11. I think that would be great. I am starting out at building, and a place like this would be great. Good idea Xush...or whomever.

Geoff

12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I love the idea, but here's another: Why not have the luthiers themselves moderate the forum?

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    probably because they are busy enough building our basses.

not to knock your idea...that would be an
    incredible resource.

but, i'd rather have them in the shop, than on the web.

:)

fred

14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah good point.

Well, I guess bass players that are online instead of playing bass should moderate the forum. :p

15. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I would be happy to moderate during 8-5 pacific mon-fri. I only have internet at my daytime job. I am on the net most of that time also.

Darrin Huff

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Matt @ FBB said he'd be happy to participate.
    He's already compiled a wealth of knowledge at the BGRA site...
    I hope this all works out, sounds really interesting!

"Ask Luthier Van Dross"?
    "luthier's BBQ"?
    "luthier, you've got some 'splainin to do..."

17. I've just visited your website, man! Those are some very nice basses! Good pricing too!

18. bloody, it happened again I wrote a long message and when I tried to submit it, a page saying that I'm not logged in appeared and everything I wrote dissappeared :mad: :mad:

Back to the topic, the idea looks brillant but do you think that for example Mr. Sadowsky will share all free his experiment that's gained after long years? I wish so..

What about "ask to Warmoth" or "Allparts", etc. forum? I asked quite a good number of questions via e-mail and if it was public like this BB I think they wouldn't have to answer the same question for thousandth time (or maybe I could already find answer and not bother them again with the same question)?

19. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Luthiers have always been pretty open on sharing their secrets. When I did my appreticeship in Northern Cal., there was a group of luthiers that met once a month to share tips and tricks. Checkout www.frets.com , I think you can see stuff from some of their meetings.

arvidgunardi, Thank you for the positive feedback. Right now guitar building is my night job, so my rates are cheaper since I have a day job paying the rent, for now.

Darrin

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    How about just "Luthiery"? Or "Bass Building and Repair"?