Luthier in Des Moines, IA area

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Churchbassist, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Churchbassist

Nov 3, 2001
    Does anyone have a luthier they recommned in the Des Moines area? I would like to have a clear lacquer or poly. coat put on a Fender which currently has the slick oil finish.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Try this guy

Dave Plummer
    Plummer Guitars
    3938 East 32nd Street
    Des Moines, IA 50317
    (515) 266-0773

If he can't or won't help you, maybe he could recommend someone who can.
    Finally, my own wavelength !
  3. Churchbassist

Nov 3, 2001
    Thanks for the info. Thorskhaus. However, Plummer guitars has packed up and left town. I have no idea where they have moved. I did use them to repair an acoustic 12-string guitar and they did satisfactory work.
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I spoke to my buddy, Stan Bienkiewicz, co-owner of Noll Guitars in Warwick RI,
    , about this, and he suggested you contact
    the Guild of American Luthiers, of which he is a member for some names of members in your area.
    Though I didn't see a phone number on the site, he gave me 1-253-472-7853 which is in WA state it appears.

Notwithstanding, if after checking that, you can't find anything, you could ship it to Noll and have it done there. I have done business with them for about 8 years and would recommend them very highly. He does list price ideas for this work on his website, but I would solicit a more specific quote
    based on your instrument and its condition. Tell him Olafur referred you. 1-401- 732-7997

I am really quite fortunate to have such an excellent shop nearby.
    Best of luck
    Big O [ actually Big 0 #2 ]
    Mudshashashark .... !