1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthier in NY?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IvanHardy, Sep 26, 2010.

1. IvanHardy

IvanHardy

Oct 24, 2009
    New York, NY
    Spector, EMG, Dirtbag Clothing, WB Gear, LK Straps,
    hey guys i don't know if this is the right place to post this so forgive me if it isn't. I live in NY and i want to know if there's any good Lutheirs i could take my Stingray to. there's a nail broken inside where the thing goes for the strap. also my Mid knob is really loose like spinning it doesn't have a stop. is there anyone i could be recommended to go to in NY preferrably Manhattan who can fix this? again i apologize if this isn't the right place for this.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    You probably won't need a really good luthier for that kind of repair. Any competent guitar tech should be able to take care of you no problem. Is there a local store near you where you might be able to watch them work?

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    For a small job like that, try Richie Baxt on the lower East side.
    212-253-7643. He's a great guy, fast and cheap.

He works out of his apartment, so you'll have to call and schedule an appointment.

4. Is it literally a nail holding your straplock in? That's your first problem. You'll probably have to relocate your strap knob.

Regarding your knob it's probably a loose nut. A lot of people have their own methods but here's mine: Take the knob off of the post and turn the post all the way to the left. Stick a thin screwdriver in the slot on the post to hold it in place and use an open end wrench to tighten the nut. That should do the trick.

If you want to take the trip out to LI, I'd gladly take a look at it at no cost.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    No, you core out the metal and dowel with a matching species whenever hardware is broken off in an instrument. It is never a good idea to add anther hole.