1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthier in Phoenix Az.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 0volts, Sep 18, 2008.

1. I am looking for a Luthier in Phoenix. I have a custom bass that was damaged during shipping, the allen wrench that was provided for adjustments actually punched a very small in the body of the bass. The hole is small enough, that I'm tempted to try to fix it myself, but would prefer a professionals touch. Does anyone know of a good luthier in Phoenix? As of yet I have not been able to find any. Thanks for the help.

2. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Check with the guys at Roberto Venn. Obviously you wouldn't give it to one of the students, but the instructors over there are top notch.

3. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    +1
    :)You might also want to try Rich Beck in Tempe or Tim and Harry at Atomic Guitar Works in Peoria. Shoot, give the guys at the Bass Place a call. I bet they could point you in the right direction.

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Bronson Guitars in Scottsdale does some great work. Beck in Tempe is good from what I've heard. I guess it depends on what part of the valley you're in & how far you want to drive.

5. All imo / iirc / ymmv / etc...

Bass Place no longer has a tech / luthier on staff.

Roberto Venn teachers don't seem to have a lot of free time, and I have been blown off by a few of them in the past.

Beck is not the nicest guy in the world, pretty big ego and a big mouth to match, but he does reasonably good work.

Bronson does very nice work, and has always been nice enough to me. That is where I go these days (and I have been in the Valley for 15+ years).

6. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    I wasn't aware they had a luthier on staff. Granted, I have not lived in the valley for many years. However, I would trust Lee to give me sound advice on where to take a repair.
    I kind of got the impression when I spoke with Mr. Beck that his work was all that and a bag of chips. That's why I ended up taking my Stingray to Tim in Peoria.

I will have to look him up. Does he have a website?

7. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    I'm in the current class at Roberto Venn, if you'd like I can ask all the teachers there on Monday if anyone will be willing to take on your repair.