Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthier in Toronto

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hawkeye, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Hi,

I'm looking for a good bass luthier in the Toronto area. I have a Fender MIM Jazz V that I would like to have some work done on the frets. I didn't realize how rough they were until I got my American Series Precision (what a nice neck and fretwork). I really like the Jazz V. Despite being big and heavy with a neck the width of an aircraft carrier, it plays alright and has a good vibe.

I'd like to get someone to file down the sides of the frets because they're actually quite sharp. Minor quibbles are the somewhat weak pickups with occasional hum and the somewhat subtle tone control. My only big complaint about the MIM Jazz V is the fretwork (at least on my bass). Otherwise the neck is great.

So, anybody in the York Region, Toronto, or Guelph/Kitchener area that you can recommend?

2. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    Go to the 12th Fret. I believe they are on Danforth. The guys there really know what they are doing. Great guitar shop as well.

3. If you've got the time, come to hamilton. on king street, about 3 or 4 blocks west of ?wellington? is a shop called the peghead. it's formerly the guitar clinic, and is the same guys that build F basses. very knowledgeable. if you ask anyone in hamilton about repairs, they send you there. I haven't had any repairs done by them, but i did buy shielding foil from them. B+) highly recommended. apparently sarah harmer was in town last year and damaged her guitar somehow. they fixed it that day for her show.

as for prices. i have no idea. they'll cut a new nut for $40 (blank extra). that's the only price i've asked about.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check them out.