1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

luthier recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, May 1, 2015.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013
    I recently had a falling out with my luthier who works out of a reputable boutique bass outfit. Back in November I dropped off my Squire DAJV to switch it from active to passive. It came back 3 weeks later with the rear electronics plate off & the 3 chrome tone contros missing. I assumed the missing hardware was in a plastic bag inside my gig bag. Not. I texted the guy & no reply.

Soon I brought the bass back for more work. The luthier seemed incredlous that I originally had the parts on. He said he'd look. 2 weeks later when I picked up the bass he very callously told me that he the bass was there too long & that he wasn't responsible for lost parts! (3 weeks?) I let it go in the interest of maintaining a good working relationship with him. Even though the back plate can't be replaced. I perform with the bass with an open back!

Today I sent strings to the guy & asked to hold on to them. He asked why the concern that he wouldn't hold on to them. I had to remind him off the recently lost parts. He got downright beligerent texting "not cool", flat out denied EVER loosing parts. I told him that is it. We are through. I can't work with someone who childishly can't take responsibility for ANYTHING.

I live near Palm Springs. Anyone good out here? My Squire is necely set up & all it will need is a periodic TR adjustment. The pont is that when I find a new tech, in 90% of cases he will try to charge me for a set up when all that is needed is a twist of an Allen wrench. Eventually I want to be shown how to do it myself. How much relief is desired etc.

Other projects might be a neck board redressing for a fretless. That requires special tools. (That is what I planned with this jerk. I should smear his and the boutique's name all over this site.) Any open suggestions or PMed are fine!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    That is unfortunate. Any business owner small or large should know that customer success is critical. That said, it sounds like your relationship with this individual is at an end.

I am sure the more seasoned builders and luthiers here can point you in the right direction. In my short time as a hobbiest, I have learned that woodworkers and luthiers are wonderfully helpful.

3. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013
    Frankly this is a world class business & they are trying to phase out customers who have other products, or at least make their own products a bigger priority. Customer satisfaction is no longer too critical. This luthier complains that his relationship with the outfit is strained & it has been evident in his work & attitude.

Personally my interactions with professional luthiers (only 2) has been abysmal! I can definarely let what he did go. But to have to pretend that he didn't loose the damn parts for fear of setting him off? He can kiss my....

Redlands is too far to drive anyway. There has to be someone closer who knows what he is doing!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    After the first incident of losing the parts and then saying "I'm not responsible for lost parts", I would have said "We're done". Can't give any specific recommendations for alternate folks to use in your area I'm afraid. As for showing you how to do setups on the other hand:
    Bass Guitar Setup Guide | Fender Support

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You didn't have a good working relationship with him. The first time someone screws you it's their fault, but you kept coming back for more. He sends your bass back with missing parts, he won't answer your texts and you do business with him again???? :bored:
    Move on and learn from your mistake.

6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl Banned

Oct 30, 2013
    Suggestions concerning local Palm Springs lurhiers