Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthier school in NYC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bieger, Jun 8, 2003.

1. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Anyone know of a good luthier school or shop in NYC? I currently have a Curbow XT-33 6 string fretless and a 5 string Tobias Classic. I love both of them, but I can also imagine borrowing elements from both of them and adding a few new things to create my dream bass. I would also be interested in building an electric upright bass to compliment my upright.

A few questions:

Is it realistic to think that I can build a high quality bass comparable to my existing basses? Assuming proper tools, high quality materials, attention to detail, and a little luck, can my first bass be a good (or great) one?

Second, how long might it take to build a bass (particularly a first bass)? Is it 30 hours or 300 hours?

How much do high quality materials cost? I would like some nice woods, high quality hardware, and high quality electronics. I am particularly interested in the ranges of wood costs as I can look up electronics and hardware costs.

Finally, how much might a class cost that takes you through building a bass and gives access to a shop?

I'm sure that all these things vary quite a bit, but ballpark estimates and other insights would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Jeremy

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    No, no luthier schools in NYC, I went and asked Sadowsky because I wanted to see how it was like to be a luthier, but my teacher reminded me that I wanna be a professional bassist, not a professional luthier.

not sure bout the other stuff, maybe Nino Brown can answer the rest :)

3. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    That's a good point...I may be better off just spending the money to hire someone who does this well for a living to build the instruments so I can focus on *playing* bass.

It's tempting to try anyway though because I could build both my electric and electric upright exactly to my specs. Plus, both the electrics and electric uprights I like are quite pricey.

Thanks for your input...