Luthier school in NYC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bieger, Jun 8, 2003.

1. bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    Anyone know of a good luthier school or shop in NYC? I currently have a Curbow XT-33 6 string fretless and a 5 string Tobias Classic. I love both of them, but I can also imagine borrowing elements from both of them and adding a few new things to create my dream bass. I would also be interested in building an electric upright bass to compliment my upright.

A few questions:

Is it realistic to think that I can build a high quality bass comparable to my existing basses? Assuming proper tools, high quality materials, attention to detail, and a little luck, can my first bass be a good (or great) one?

Second, how long might it take to build a bass (particularly a first bass)? Is it 30 hours or 300 hours?

How much do high quality materials cost? I would like some nice woods, high quality hardware, and high quality electronics. I am particularly interested in the ranges of wood costs as I can look up electronics and hardware costs.

Finally, how much might a class cost that takes you through building a bass and gives access to a shop?

I'm sure that all these things vary quite a bit, but ballpark estimates and other insights would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    No, no luthier schools in NYC, I went and asked Sadowsky because I wanted to see how it was like to be a luthier, but my teacher reminded me that I wanna be a professional bassist, not a professional luthier.

not sure bout the other stuff, maybe Nino Brown can answer the rest :)
  3. bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    That's a good point...I may be better off just spending the money to hire someone who does this well for a living to build the instruments so I can focus on *playing* bass.

It's tempting to try anyway though because I could build both my electric and electric upright exactly to my specs. Plus, both the electrics and electric uprights I like are quite pricey.

Thanks for your input...