luthier told me to use light gauge strings...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassinflux, Sep 16, 2004.

1. bassinflux

Sep 14, 2004
    Hey, I built a bass with my dad about a year ago.
    We took it to the luthier at cherry street guitar in galesburg, he was great, took it home over the weekend to fix my volume nob(which was basically a loud or soft nob, no inbetween). He made a few minor adjustments to the trussrod. He told me that we had the trussrod just about to the max, and he had tightened it all the way, apparently our truss slot was a little tall? im not sure, anyway he told me to use light gauge strings, so I have been... I just wondered what all this ment and if i should be watching for anything, and what the effects of heavier strings might be... It has an uncommonly high action(ive learned to play it and like it), and ive thought about routing down a spot for my bridge(indepenent bridges).. would this be ill advised?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Countersinking the bridge is one way of dealing with ultra-high action; the other is to shim the neck. If the neck is overly up-bowed, though, the problem's with the truss rod, or more particularly with the nut at the end of the trussrod - tighten it any more and you'll snap the rod. I don't know of an easy fix for that (adding washers? spacers?) but maybe someone else does.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well, to answer one question, he suggested lighter guage strings to keep the pull on the neck to a minimum. Think about like a bow and arrow. Put all them strings on there at tension and it will bend the neck. The truss rod is in there to counteract that. Since its maxed out, heavy guage strings I guess will put more strain on the neck.