Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthiers and Repairmen HELP!! How hard would this PU switch be?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Hammer, Mar 6, 2006.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    [​IMG]
    I am interested in replacing the stock passive PU's in this Washburn AB90 with active PU's (Status Hyperactives) and a Status onboard eq as well. How hard do you guys think that this will be since it is a semi-hollow body? Can you think of any obivous problems that I will run into (other than having to cut an access for the board into the back of the body). I would greatly appreciate any and all comments about this project. Thanks!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The trick that you use with a hollow body or semi hollow body is to tie a long piece of string around the shaft of the pots and the toggle of the switch. Use kite string or similar.

That way, you can drop the controls/switches inside the body and fish them out with a screwdriver, chopstick or similar. If replacing the control/switch, simply move the string to the new piece and pull it back into place with the string.

If you don't have one, buy a telescoping inspection mirror at a tool or hardware store. They're priceless when it comes time to see what's going on inside the instrument.

If it's dark inside, simply shine a flashlight onto the mirror and aim it toward the area that you want to see.

One other thing...most hollow body instruments that I've looked in have some sort of metal tab near the center block to hang the wiring from. The inspection mirror will help you find all of the hidden little things.

The battery might be the most difficult thing about the whole project. I suppose that you could attach it to the back of one of the pickups if you don't mind pulling out a pickup to change the battery.

Have fun!!!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Giving the project a little more thought...I'd be inclined to disconnect the pickup selector entirely... If the preamp for the pickups has a blend control, that's better than a pickup selector (with regard to tonal variations) anyday. I'd leave the switch installed, but disconnected. Your wiring would be a lot easier that way too.

Also, make a good drawing of how the original wiring was done (with good digital pictures) so that you can always restore it later for nostalgia or resale...

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Thanks Billy!:)