Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthiers around Indy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ElephantTalk, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Does anyone know of a luthier around the Indianapolis area?

I need someone to make me a brass nut to replace a plastic one that is on my bass.

-ET

2. (And would that luthier let me hang out in his shop?)

I know a shop that would probably do it, it's north of Indy near where 37 and 116th street meet by the Super Target called Reno's. I know the repairman there pretty well, and he does good work. He's actually almost finished refurbishing my friend's 65 Fender Mustang, and it's looking good. He's done work on my basses before too, and plays a lot of bass.

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Sending you a PM

4. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Paul,
    Hey 116th & 37.....just down the street. :D
    I'll check them out. What's the guys name?

n' sk8,
    I've seen some of your builds on here. Looks good!

-Vic

5. Mike. He's a good guy.

6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I'm moving to Indiana, and will be there Friday July 29th when we close on and move into our new house. I'm moving my shop by myself rather than sending it with the movers as they don't show up until the following monday or tuesday (August 1st or 2nd) and that will give me the weekend to get my shop setup and running again.

I'll be in the Lafayette area, which is about 1.5 hours NW of Indianapolis... and you're always more than welcome to come hang out in my shop once I get there!

7. I'll have to take you up on that offer! You make such lovely basses man, I love the Tabletop one you made for yourself. I almost bought Barney too, but the money went into tools...

8. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Kahuna,
    I'll most defintely send you a pm later when you're settled!
    I absolutely love your SC-1 sixer.
    Excellent choice of woods.

The best of luck in the move!

-Vic

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hey Kahuna, I'm moving to lafayette in august as well. Maybe we can meet up sometime. I'd love to check out your shop and latest creations.

10. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Very cool! Again, we sign the papers for our new house on Friday, July 29th and start moving in that day.

My shop will be in the garage for a while while we get the new shop built (we'll be on 4 acres, so no problem there).

Oh, and that SC-1 I built for myself, serial #0001, with the figured walnut top..... I sold it to a friend here in CO who absolutely drooled over it ever time he saw it (Dan, bassist with "Kilbox"). It was just meant to be his bass form the minute they saw each other.

:^)~