1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Luthiers/Bass Shops In Milan, Venice, Monterosso Italy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jay Terrien, May 12, 2006.

1. I'll be in Italy this fall playing at a music festival (78 Festival), and I was curious if anyone can suggest some luthiers/custom bass shops that I should check out? Thanks!!

Jay

2. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    As concerning luthiers you could find interesting this:

http://www.laurus.it/english/english.html

he's about 100 Km. from Venice (in Verona's direction). Many pros here rave about his basses but prices are very high. Not my cup of tea anyway.
    Taste some white wines while you're in Venice! ;)

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

I believe Manne basses are made in Italy, and they're pretty cool.

Ehhhhh but then you can play them at Westwood Music, so why go all the way to Italy to get one?

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hello,
    BIG "+" for Laurus, wonderfull instruments!

Listen to Michele, while in Italy, concentrate on the GREAT food and the GREAT wines!.... gals also, but.... food never lies! :smug: J/K

Enjoy your trip to Italy, one of the best country in Europe. (disclaimer, I'm not from Italy!).

Mo'

5. Cool, I'll surely look into these basses! ;)

6. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    those are some real pimp looking basses, so if you go to thier shop, you could probably talk em down in price.;)

eh, try and get an endorsement too, if really rip and shred, since you are American he couldnt resist.lol

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Name Changed - show us some Carvins?

those Lauruses are pretty interesting. very futuristic design. does anyone know how much they go for? just outta curiousity.

8. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    4 strings fretted (the "cheapest" combination) go for about 3500. For a 5 or 6 strings expect to pay well over 5000 (expecially for the fretlesses that have tonal chambers). Ah, ehm ... Euros!

9. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    LMAO OMG 5000 EUROS IS LIKE 7500, YOU COULD GET A FODERA EMPEROR 5!LOL

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    I'm not sure, but the street price is way less!..... and by the way, these basses are totally at the same level of Fodera, quality and sound wise!
    Look wise is obviously a subjective matter!

Named Changed, have you ever played one of them?

BTW, Ric Fierabracci has two of them (endorsement, I believe)... hint, he's American!

Mo'

11. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I know it, my friend! I could tell you that there's so much work behind a Laurus. Nothing to say on a bass like that from a "luthieristic" point of view: you could love or hate 'em at first sight (ah, that headstock :meh: ) but they're top notch as far as construction.
    But you'll be shocked to know how much a MIM Fender sells here. That's why I buy all my gear in the States ... :D

12. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Ciao Mò! Well, putting the hands on a good used one is the best but if you go to Mr. Cazzola for a custom ... (or if you enter in one of those italian music shops where, strangely, the salesman reminds you of a crocodile ...) :D

13. Why is he still allowed at these forums?

I believe markbass is located in Italy, but I don't know where abouts. Those Laurus' look sweet, if you try 'em out, let me know how the "tonal chamber" in the fb sounds.

14. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Ciao Michele, come vanno le cose nel vecchio continente?

I didn't know the prices went up so much.... still, they're great instruments. I remember 15 years ago (more or less) checking out those basses. I talked to Mr. Cazzola (visited his shop) and I was about to get one (he used to have a model with tuners at the headstock. Beautiful, I don't know why he stopped this model), but (personal matter) I didn't. Back then it was half the price!

...don't over cook spaghetti boys!

Take care

Mo'

15. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    laurus is great. ric fierabracci used to play them. fantastic sound.

also another great luthier company in italy is pagelli.
    http://www.pagelli.com/

especially I find this bass design awesomely mega fantastic:
    [​IMG]

oops. now I checked, it's in switzerland. My mistake.