1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthiers! Help me with a fingerboard question!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Joeymarshmallow, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Well I've asked this question to no avail on other boards, but I just got a bass who's fingerboard (especially on the third fret around the inlay) seems to have some sort of hard (but thin) plastic layer, noticeable because it's got an air pocket and is peeling slightly. I thought maybe it was a covering meant to be taken off eventually, just so it didn't get scratched in the store or whatever. I figured you bass builders would know if coating the fingerboard is a standard thing to do, or what this mysterious substance might be? Can I take it off? Does it need repair?

2. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Does the fingerboard have a clear coat over it? If so, likely that one fret was missed when the clear coat needed to be scraped / flaked off. Pretty sure it'll come off with ease.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I've seen them do that on pick guards but never a fingerboard, sounds like the poly or something has failed.
    Dirk

4. Not unusual to coat a fingerboard if it's maple - but most builders only apply oil to fingerboards, especially those with darker woods. I have used Polyester Resin over maple very sucessfully - but never seen it flake off.. Joey, can you post a photo of the problem area?

5. I'll get a pic up when I get my digital camera back, it's very similar to lamination on an ID card, and how that can get air pockets underneath it. It seems to be a really hard material, but thin.