1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthiers HELP: What is a wide neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Apr 28, 2010.

1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Well as of late I've been thinking to myself I want to expand my musical instrument horizons so I plan on becoming a house based gui**** I wouldn't be caught dead with one outside the house.

However i'm in need of some luthier advice can one of you or any of you please tell me what qualifies for a wide neck?

I know it's based on nut size but, give me some measurments on what to look for in a good wide sorta D shaped guitar neck?

****NOTE****
    I realize this is a suicidal post seeing this is a bass forum afterall but, I feel it maybe good for me to learn a bit more about the musical world around me. Plus, it might help me get into the mind of gui****s and mess with them a little. :D

2. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    BUMP

Really I know people here have opinions on guitar players but, I'm one of your own I'm still a bassist just one looking to noodle around in his bedroom.
    Afterall as we all know 'Music is music', right?

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Have you played the MIM Telecasters? They most certainly have a D shaped neck. I can't stand that kind of neck on guitar but you're not me :bag::p

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Yes and their skinny I try press one string and end up pressing two.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    When I hear "wide neck," I think of a classical guitar.

Truthfully, I think your best bet is to just copy a Strat or Les Paul. A guitar is an entirely different instrument, and given that a Fender and Gibson string spacings are by far the most common, you'd be best to learn to play on something similar.

I don't have those dimensions, but they're easily searchable.

6. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I found out that my Ibanez ATK305 nut is 45mm which is 1.7 inches

And 48mm which equals 1 7/8 inches which is WAY bigger.

I think My ideal guitar neck width whould be somewhere around 45mm no less than that I mean.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone I just got to look for a guitar now.

BTW Strats repulse me they look so cookie cutter Teles look good to me with double humbuckers like that John 5 sig. Squier. I may get a Epi GX but, I'm open for suggestions.

Again thanks.