Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthiers, how do u hide drill mistakes in maple?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Sep 21, 2004.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I have had an all maple P-bass neck laying around that I haven't put on my bolt on P body. Reason is I'm ashamed of myself and my Dad. He had a dull drill bit and kept pushing and pushing on it trying to drill neck-screw mounting holes on heel and drilled right through fingerboard! I have filled those holes, used different kinds of filler to hide the holes, but it's next to impossible. I have tried everything. Everytime I sand a little, there are the everlasting imprint of a hole once there, (but not so noticeable now) in the end of the fretboard. I am wondering I should just find a "paint" and hide the places for good, then put a clear finish on the neck and be through with it. Can anyone help.

2. Best thing I've found for a mistake hole in maple is to use a tapered dowel to fill it and CA glue to make it stick. You MUST drill out the hole to where it's smooth and clean. Then make or buy a tapered maple dowel. If you make it, try to make it from the same wood as whatever you made the mistake piece from. Coat the inside of the hole with CA, tap in the dowel, and let dry. You can sand down off the top of the dowel - that's the easiest and cleanest way - or you can saw it off flush and sand it smooth.

The CA glue doesn't have any color so it won't leave a ring that might be more visible than the dowel repair itself.

Hope this helps.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    thanks hambone, I have used the dowels, but my mistake is I used wood glue instead of CA glue. Always showed. I will try the CA glue now, thanks a bunch.

4. I'm just finishing up on a refurb of my first bass and you should see the patched up tail of that beauty! It's a flame maple body and around the bridge there's several of these types of plugs. Oh, they cover everything from old hardware taps to absolute mind vacations. :D

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Hambone, you are da man.

6. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    [​IMG]

I covered a "mind vacation" with screws - it's where I drilled the neck bolt holes too deep. You can see a repair in maple too easily, so I thought to just make it into a "feature". ;)