Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthiers in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by RogerPear, Dec 16, 2001.

1. RogerPear

RogerPear

Dec 16, 2001
    Hi, my bass just developed a nasty crack down by the end pin.

I haven't been to any luthiers in LA yet, and I hope someone can steer me to a good one.

(also, any luthiers to avoid?)

thanks,
    Roger

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I forgot about (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur's list....Duh! Go to Bob's website and look for the luthier directory...I'd bet good money he's got at least of coupl of listings for L.A. in there.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Fine work comes out of Los Angeles Bass Works by Lisa Gass. The number is 213-953-5122. This recomendation comes through me from Carlos Henriquez who plays with Wynton Marsalles among others. He has seen her work and loves it.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Ditto Lisa. My sister and brother-in-law run a Guild violin-repair shop in LA called "Vita Dolce Violins." They used to work with Lisa and recommend her very highly. And man, they are fussy!

5. Tele295

Tele295

Jan 8, 2002
    Ventura, CA
    Does Lisa do bow rehairs?

6. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Plug for my brother-in-law, the bow-meister, Tom Egan at Vita Dolce Violins.

7. Tele295

Tele295

Jan 8, 2002
    Ventura, CA
    Samuel - if your brother in law at Vita Dolce works on bass bows, shoot me his number either here or by email.

The guy at Studio City Violins wouldn't work on my backup bass bow. Said he didn't have the right parts - not sure if that was a line or what.

I may just grit my teeth and drive to Long Beach to World of Strings. At least I know that basses are their thing.

8. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    www.vitadolceviolins.com

My sister and brother-in-law do work on bass bows.

They're nice. They don't work on basses. Don't even ask. :<

9. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Lisa Gass, Los Angeles Bass Works, 323-953-5122

She did some bridgework, tailpiece and soundpost adjustments for me today. Super nice gal and very reasonable. I'm thrilled to have found a local luthier who I like and trust.