1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Luthiers in St. Louis/Southeast Missouri?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Ethanator, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I may be posting in the wrong section, please move thread if necessary. I'm in search of a luthier to do a professional defretting job on my 6-string, and doing a google search gave me nothing but store names. I was wondering if anybody is or knows someone around St. Louis MO or the general area (I also go to school in Cape, so I'm around there a lot) who could do the work. I'd rather take it to a store where I know a certain experienced individual will do the work than just a repair guy going at my axe with a chisel. I've done a basic fretless conversion on my beater 4-string, but I would like this one done professionally since its the nicest of my current axes. Any help will be appreciated!

2. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    The first two choices in St. Louis are Skip Goez (Goez Instrument repair) or Jimmy Gravity (Gravity Strings).
    Skip is a cool guy. Sort of a mad scientist looking guy but will take the time to tell you in detail what he will do, then do it.
    I dont think Jimmy does so much work these days but he used to get 100% of my business when I knew he was doing it. They are still very competent folks though.

I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Personally, when I get around to getting my Alembic refinished I'll be begging JohnK to do it. ;-)

3. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    I haven't lived in St. Louis for 10 years, but while i was there J. Gravity was top notch, although I also beleive he's not doing much anymore.

You could look up Dave Certin from Certainbass. He does some really nice defretting jobs. He's got some detractors on here, but none of them are his customers. A ton more people myself included having gotten some really nice instruments from him and had pleasant business dealings.

You might also swing by Eddie's guitars. It's a high-end shop, and they always had some good techs there.

4. John Mondin is in Alton. He is very good and I did check to make sure he is still doing the work - he is. PM me if you want his info.

5. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    +1 for Skip Goez (I grew up in STL). GREAT work. When I lived in Chicago and needed any work done, I'd take it with me on the next trip home. I've thought of doing the same from California, but that's getting a bit too nutty :D

No experience with the others.

6. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    Well you're welcome to bring me one of Dan Ransom's basses if you come back this way. ;-)

7. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Huh, never heard of him. Looks like lots of love for his work here.

8. Well after shooting some emails and asking some questions, looks like i'll be going back to J Gravity this summer. I've written a 6-string bass Sonatina and I can't wait to hear it on a fretless :D